1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Long Tube Headers

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by willbradfan, Jun 29, 2009.

1. willbradfan

willbradfan New Member

My birthday is coming up and I was looking at what I should get for myself for my birthday to get some more performance out of my suburban and the last time i asked someone on here they recommended getting long tube headers over shortys. Whats the best place to locate some long tube headers and do muffler shops usually charge quite a bit to rearrange your exhaust? I can't really think of what else to upgrade on my suburban other than the headers which are still stock. I know long tube headers stick out underneath the vehicle a little bit but i think i am okay since my suburban is higher up, it shouldn't be a problem whenever I drive through corn fields in nebraska i hope?
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

There are a couple of places to look at for Headers,Jegs,Summit Racing would be a good place to start.With the holiday coming up most of,if not all of the aftermarket sites will offer Deeper discounts and some of them offer free shipping.As far as cost with a muffler shop to do the work,call around and get some estimates,as each shop most likely have a different rate.And with the long tube you will have plenty of clearance.
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I just priced a set of Dynatech long tube headers with all of the emissions crap hooked to it, and it was pretty damn pricey. But my local exhaust shop is going to charge $250 just to put these headers on, he said they are a real pain in the a$$ to get too. I would say that the clearance shouldn't be an issue, depending on how good the shop is that you go to.
  4. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow New Member

ive got long tube tri y throley's i suggest spending the exta for ceramic coated ones so they dont rust or blue on ya in the future or you can do what i did and get the normal chrome and send em to www.jet-hot.com and have em coat them allows you more color and tempature options and such had shortys before didnt notice much gain till in the 3000 and up range in rpms was dissapointed in em
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  5. JennaBear

JennaBear New Member

There is definitely some power to be had from the LT headers (shorties are essentially the same as stock, so best to save your money and go with LTs as you stated). I have the AEM LTs and am very happy with them.:great:
  6. willbradfan

willbradfan New Member

7. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts

definately some long tubes
  8. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow New Member

9. willbradfan

willbradfan New Member

with the thorleys would I be able to install that by myself or would I need the help of a muffler shop to rearrange where my exhaust is underneath my suburban? Such as the catalytic converter and the muffler.
  10. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

My question for anyone is, if you have the dual cat set up on a suburban how will long tube headers work without having to completly redo the intermediate pipe? It would seem to me that it wouldnt be worth the money and cost to get new cats and have all that piping custom bent and new clamps.