Long Tube Headers

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Metaluzc, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member

I found a set of brand new PaceSetter QuikTrip Long Tube Headers for $318.95 with free shipping. Does anyone know of any other brands of long tube headers that may be cheaper or provide better performance? I like my BBK shorty headers but have been reading on here that long tube headers increase horsepower more than shorties, so I would like to upgrade.
  2. Thats cheap for long tube header. Most LTs I've seen are $900.00 up.
  3. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member

I found them on a site called autoanything.com, they have really good deals and free shipping on everything. I have bought a few items from the company and they have quality service. Pacesetter is a known name, so I wasn't sure if there were better ones out there.
  4. ippielb

ippielb New Member

I have those headers on my truck right now. They were designed great, easy to install, and have the clamp/weld on collector so there's no leaks like bolt on collectors. Since installation, I've gained throttle response, my truck gains RPMs so much faster, and when i fix my o2 sensors, and get a proper tune, i'm thinking that my truck will see a lot more then just this.
  5. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member

Thanks. My BBK headers have a leak on the passenger side and instead of having a shop weld them and polish it, I figured I would just go with the long tube headers for better performance anyways. Buying a DSP once I get my paycheck this week, I think that coupled with the headers will give me a whole different truck. High hopes for my ride: DSP, long tube headers, 4.56 gears, true dual exhaust, just need more money :).
  6. ippielb

ippielb New Member

I would get true dual exhaust when you put your headers on. Save some time, plus it will give you a better result if you do it all at once, you will see your money's effect more then if you do it slowly over time.
  7. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member

How did you do your true duals? Did you just get two-single exhaust systems with an x-pipe? I have been having trouble finding a full true dual exhaust system for the 6.0L so I was considering doing custom straight pipes with high-flow mufflers.
  8. ippielb

ippielb New Member

Well, on our trucks the stock exhaust has a y-pipe from the manifolds to the flange on the end of the y pipe. What i did was cut the end of the Y-pipe off, and then welded on two new pipes from there to the mufflers, and then out the back. I have no H pipe or X pipe, i prefer to have no cross over, as it takes away the point of having true dual exhaust. you want to hear the different exhaust valves, on each side, un even sound, rather then both the same out of each pipe.
  9. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member

Do you recommend/like the mufflers you have on your truck?
  10. ippielb

ippielb New Member

They're nice, they give me the back pressure, if you drive it with open headers, once you get your exhaust on, you will crave for louder mufflers. I like them, because it's a lot different then all the glass packs and straight piping we have going on here in Sask.
  11. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member

Ok cool, I'm not looking for obnoxiously loud, but something that will make people turn their heads when you floor it.
  12. dualdj1

dualdj1 New Member

Sound wise I agree with you. But the purpose of dual exhaust is not only for sound, but many times for performance (2x 2.5" pipes flow more than 1x 3" pipe). Performance wise, there is some performance gain possible from X or H-pipe (X being the recommended). The amount is arguable, but is based on how much back pressure exists in the 2nd half of your exhaust system. If you don't have high flowing cats/mufflers, placing an X in front of them will equalize the pressure in the back half of the exhaust system, providing a more even flow out of both sides of the system. The downside, as you mentioned, is that it sounds more even or uniform on both sides.

Obviously the best is headers to open air, and I would deem the benefits of an X before high flow mufflers or glass packs to be negligible.