1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

looking at a 2004 Z71, what should i look for

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by stuckinmud, Sep 10, 2008.

1. stuckinmud

stuckinmud New Member

greetings,
    I have found a 2004 Z71 suburban for sale. The salesman states that it only has 8500 miles and is emailing me pictures of the odometer and the vin so i can run a check on it. I like the way it looks. What are some of the things I should look for other than the miles being rolled back? My dad owns a 2004 Z71 tahoe and has had no issues with it. Thanks in advance for all help
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts

:sign0016: sound like the odo was rolled back
    mite try runing a car fax history look @ all the vins to make sure the are all the same
  3. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Doesnt it have a digital odometer, wouldnt that be hard to do unless you can hack the factory computer and roll it back, and you cant simply unplug those like on the 94-99 trucks as the new trucks have the wiring harness significantly cut down to less wires to stop this
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  4. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

My '04 C/C has 106,000+ miles and my only complaint is the intermediate steering shaft "knock". Have recently had some A/C problems, but nothing major. Good luck!
  5. zach45

zach45 New Member

never know could only have 8500 but odds are shes rolled back... but who ever rolled it back is retarted... thats way to low of a number to roll back to....so eather you found the 1 in a million... or the owner is retarted
  6. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts

Yeah everyone knows you're only supposed to roll the odometer back like 40k max.....:glasses: Even if I did this to mine it still wouldn't sell!
  7. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts

Never know, it could be a "Grandma's Grocery-Getter" that was only driven to and from the grocery store. My Dad currently has my Grandmother's 1972 Chevelle 2-door w/350 that looks like new and has only 72K miles on it. She passed away a few years ago but only drove the car a couple if times a week to get groceries or go to the doctor.

It's does sound like a great find and it would be to your best interest like mentioned before to find out any history you can on it. Even with a VIN check report from the dealer.

As far as setting the mileage on the digital odometer, I was looking at some aftermarket instrament panels for my truck and they either come with "000's" or you can pay a little extra to have the mileage programmed to match your stock mileage.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  8. hutch_pt

hutch_pt New Member

Not to be too negative, but "if its too good to be true, it probably is"

I had to have the instrument cluster replaced, and they had to reprogram the odometer, so I could see how it could be done...
  9. kanman

kanman New Member

don't know about the mileagesounds like a steal to me, but be careful. My 2003 runs great, just recently had to get the whole a/c replaced but the previous owner lived in texas so I'm sure it was on all the time. check into extended warranties mine has been well used just because it has 78000 miles on it.