1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Looking at a Jimmy for my kid. (???'s)

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by Curky, May 2, 2013.

1. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

this is the post-
    3,900 FIRM 1999 gmc jimmy 4 door clean in and out ***{{{ very low mileage }}}*** 88,000 miles Pville TWP only 2 owners . NEW WINTER TIRES-4WD-POWER WINDOWS-CD PLAYER-remote locks-back windows tinted & towing pgk clean NON SMOKER
    922686_374607305982707_758676419_n.jpg

What is next to go, on something like this. I want something to last her about 1.5years w/o putting a ton of money into it. I know hard to say but just want to know what is common.

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Looks clean.. Hows it run?

3. Curky

I'm going out there on sat to look at it. Since everyone here love Chevy's & GMC's and some have owned for a long time. What should i be looking for. I know all the tricks to see if it was in a crash but what about under and in engine? what are the common thing to go wrong around the millage?

- - - Updated - - -

Im am taking my mechanic with me and he will tell me everything but also he is a die hard Dodge guy and he will be like this will go soon and this and this, so on. If a Dodge it would be a diffident story

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Two of my older sisters had the same year and model, my older brother had an 2008. They all went thru front wheel bearings a few times and both sisters had to have their crank position sensors replaced. The other issue that was present on all of them was the seat handles to recline the front seats. They always broke. Sometimes it was as simple as just replacing the handle, other times the end of the rod sheared off requiring a replacement of the rod. So, if you get it be sure to not be leaning on the seat back when pulling the recline handle. Other than that the only other issues were due to lack of maintenance. One sister kept hers for 2 years and traded it in, the other sister had hers until last year and had well over 250,000 miles on it with no major issues. That sure is an ugly color!!

5. Curky

LOL, it is. but it would be her first car. she don't care. She hates driving the truck. She said it is to big. I laugh and say no it is not big enough. She love it before i put the leavening on it. I tell her she is crazy. I added 2.5in. to the front. The thing is. That is all I want to spend on a car for her. The wife wants her to have an SUV. Also I want her to have a GM. I think I heard if the oil pan goes we are screwed?

6. Pikey

why are you screwed? do you have to pull the motor to change it?

7. Curky

yes,that is what I heard. But how common is it. I know it happened with my mother in laws jimmy.

8. Pikey

I have no idea how common it is. I mean you could also say that you are screwed if the trans blows. It is just a risk you take buying a used car. There are plenty of after market warranty companies that you can buy a warranty for the car thru. For a 1 year power train it would cost around $600

9. Curky

Thank You. Lets see if I get any other hits here before i go

10. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I say it will be find with such low miles. My 5.7L didn't start leaking from the pan and rear main until 197,500 miles. Now at 199,440 I need to fix a cooler line fitting that is leaking. Other than that mine runs great. But sometimes the first gen Vortec motors end up blowing intake gaskets or having leaking ones which causes coolant to leak into the cylinders. The fix is easy just a pain in the butt.