1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

looking at a rear end swap

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 95WT, Jan 4, 2012.

1. 95WT

95WT New Member

I posted about this before but this time im gonna try and be detailed,
    i hate my one wheel wonder 1995 c1500 and know its possible to swap to a posi rear

my questions are:
    which is a good donor vechicle

what are the important steps

what are the important parts i need to complete the project
  2. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson New Member 100 Posts

I would say that the closer you can get to the same year the better your ability for it to physically fit.
    Watchout for your axle bolt count, most likely only to be 5 bolt for a 1500.
    Then trying to find one that is actually a posi-lock may be a challenge. Check your mfg codes of the donor vehicle if possible.
    Since you are not a 4X4 you don't have to worry about exactly matching any gear ratios, though the closer you can get to what you have the better your speedo will stay accurate. Check your mfg codes to determine what ratio you currently have.
  3. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 New Member

stay away from the gm g80 posi, its known as the governor bomb for a reason and junkyard know its common for them to blow up so they charge crazy amounts for them, you would be far better off with a auburn or eaton clutch posi