Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

looking at new gears?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 5speedsilverado, Jun 27, 2009.

1. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

ok, i currently have 3.23 gear ratio in my truck, i was wondering if i could get any better gas mileage in town with a 3.42 gear set? i hardly drive on the high way any more, so i dont care about highway mileage. and i dont want to go anything lower then the 3.42 because i already have traction issues also
  2. budfreak

budfreak Rockstar

You should get a small increase in the city with the 3.42 set, but it won't be much I'd think.
    I do gear swaps all day long on Subaru SVX's which I take from a 3.545 ratio to a 4.444 ratio and the city mileage goes up about 3 MPG or so and highway stays the same(at least in those cars), so I'd imagine you would only gain .5-1.5 MPG at the most from a swap like that.
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

X2 on the small increase. It would take years to recoup the savings. You would see a little more performence with the 3.42s.
  4. Jimmiee

Performance not performence. :)
  5. dwoftx

dwoftx New Member

I have an 08 w/4.8 and 3.23. Great MPG but a dog at low end. I know 3.73's would give me more performance that I lack but how bad would my MPG suffer?
    Second part of this, is the sluggish low end possibly attributted to nonresponsive electronic throttle?
    I am in regret of trading my 01 in on this 08 and going from the 5.3 to a 4.8. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  6. Jimmiee

Your truck was made to get good mileage. Changing the gears will be a trade off for lower mileage. You can't have your cake and eat it too! <G>
    Don't blame the throttle. The electronic throttle is more precise than a cable. The sluggishness is an engine problem of some kind.
  7. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

unless he is taking about the lag time you get if you go from no throttle to full throttle, i notice their is about a 1 second delay.
  8. Jimmiee

I don't have that lag on my 6L.:)
  9. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

10. dwoftx

dwoftx New Member

I realize that there is a give and take with MPG to performance,but the low end on this thing is bad. I have had it back in twice and since it does not throw a code they tell be it is normal. I was told I would not tell much of a difference from my old 01 5.3 but it is day and night. There is such a delay from a dead stop that I won't jump into traffic, you just have to sit and wait like a grandma. I'm 59 and not looking for a hotrod but this is pitiful. when I get to about 50 it comes to life and feels like a V8.
    Thanks