looking at new gears?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 5speedsilverado, Jun 27, 2009.

1. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

ok, i currently have 3.23 gear ratio in my truck, i was wondering if i could get any better gas mileage in town with a 3.42 gear set? i hardly drive on the high way any more, so i dont care about highway mileage. and i dont want to go anything lower then the 3.42 because i already have traction issues also

2. budfreak

budfreak Rockstar

You should get a small increase in the city with the 3.42 set, but it won't be much I'd think.
    I do gear swaps all day long on Subaru SVX's which I take from a 3.545 ratio to a 4.444 ratio and the city mileage goes up about 3 MPG or so and highway stays the same(at least in those cars), so I'd imagine you would only gain .5-1.5 MPG at the most from a swap like that.

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

X2 on the small increase. It would take years to recoup the savings. You would see a little more performence with the 3.42s.

4. Jimmiee

Performance not performence. :)

5. dwoftx

dwoftx New Member

I have an 08 w/4.8 and 3.23. Great MPG but a dog at low end. I know 3.73's would give me more performance that I lack but how bad would my MPG suffer?
    Second part of this, is the sluggish low end possibly attributted to nonresponsive electronic throttle?
    I am in regret of trading my 01 in on this 08 and going from the 5.3 to a 4.8. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

6. Jimmiee

Your truck was made to get good mileage. Changing the gears will be a trade off for lower mileage. You can't have your cake and eat it too! <G>
    Don't blame the throttle. The electronic throttle is more precise than a cable. The sluggishness is an engine problem of some kind.

7. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

unless he is taking about the lag time you get if you go from no throttle to full throttle, i notice their is about a 1 second delay.

8. Jimmiee

I don't have that lag on my 6L.:)

9. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

10. dwoftx

dwoftx New Member

I realize that there is a give and take with MPG to performance,but the low end on this thing is bad. I have had it back in twice and since it does not throw a code they tell be it is normal. I was told I would not tell much of a difference from my old 01 5.3 but it is day and night. There is such a delay from a dead stop that I won't jump into traffic, you just have to sit and wait like a grandma. I'm 59 and not looking for a hotrod but this is pitiful. when I get to about 50 it comes to life and feels like a V8.
    Thanks