Looking for a center console cushion ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by JTward1, Jan 30, 2017.

1. JTward1

JTward1 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

Has anyone ever bought a center console cushion. On long drives it'd be nice to rest my right arm on one. Thank you ! SANY0505.JPG

Beachbourbon likes this.
  2. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I doubt you'll find a cushion made for that console JT. You should be able to come up with one, though. Do you know anyone that makes their own clothes? Years ago there were plenty. Not so much any more.

It should be pretty easy to get a block of high-density foam and trim it to fit the console. Then you would only need someone to sew a cover for it. You might find someone by asking at one of the sewing machine stores. They usually have classes for customers on using their sewing machines. They would also be able to embroider the top of you wanted that.

The last option would be to have an upholstery shop make a cushion for you. You can probably find one with a phone call. Give them the rough dimensions and they might give you a ball park estimate. This would be the easiest but not necessarily the cheapest.

Ted

JTward1 likes this.
  3. JTward1

Hay Ted, Actually I found a couple who make console cushions and they sent me a email and said if I gave them the dimensions they'd make a little custom one for me ? $29.95 At that price I'm interested to see what I get.

4. xPosTech

That's great, JT. When you get it post some pix and let us know how you like it. And let us know the contact info for that couple.

What I need to do is make a larger door armrest for my truck. I've been putting it off for 6 years. I want it to just fit over the existing one and bring it to the same level as my console.

Ted

5. JTward1

Yeah xPosTech, after looking but find myself zip, I did find a a single console cushion for a Nissan SUV and it was a perfect 7" wide and 2" thick. So I bought another 2 of them $7.99 and I sewed two of them together and added a strip of foam at the top, which made it 14" X 12" X 2" and it is bent on a slight downward slant. I got some tan flannel and spray adhesive I made a real nice center console cushion, and I measured the console itself and bought a wide strip of black elastic and sewed them in at 2" in from the side and are a nice snug fit . You open the console slide the cushion down the console and the elastic holds it tight. Sometime you gotta do your itself.

xPosTech and thegawd like this.
  6. Beachbourbon

Beachbourbon Active Member 100 Posts

I had that same console in blue, and still have a spare. I have never seen a cushion. I haven't seen anyone make one either. I would just get a good pillow and elastic to secure it, but leave it easy to remove for access.

BTW, if anyone needs one of these in blue, let me know. It needs to go to a good home.

7. xPosTech

It's good you have a cushion now. Too bad you had to make it yourself. The custom cushion couple didn't follow up?

Ted

8. JTward1

Hi xPosTech As the say, "Need is the mother of invention" and I was looking around and I found on Amazon a center console and it was the right lengthen, but it was too narrow 7" X 2", so I bought 2 of them and sew together. But I put a 1" of foam at the top section , that causes the two haves to bow down a little bit. And I have a square of tan flannel and once I have that on, I'm putt a 2" elastic band 2" in from the side and that will hold the console cushion in place. Total cost is $24.90

Beachbourbon likes this.
  9. Beachbourbon

Beachbourbon Active Member 100 Posts

That is great! Quick question: I had the same captains chair and console in my 90 suburban, and the chairs had fold down arm rests. I used the arm rests instead of the console. Do you not have arm rests? Or do you just prefer the console?

10. JTward1

No, I don't have arm rest other than on the door. But the set I used were made for the Nissen SUV being 7" and the console on my Blazer is 14" X 10" and once done they are 2" thick, so I'm pretty sure they will be comfortable enough.

Beachbourbon likes this.