1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

looking for a fuse box diagram

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by coldsteel1993, Aug 15, 2007.

1. coldsteel1993

coldsteel1993 Rockstar

I have a 86 Chevy Suburban. It has a 5.7 in it. The power windows all stopped working and I can't seem to find a spot in the fuse box that says Power Windows or something of that nature. Help Please.:grrrrrr:

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Check AutoZone

I found this diagram at AutoZone but it doesn't show a power window circuit. Could it be the one labled "pwr" ?
    [​IMG]

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If I remember correctly, in my 91 sub, the power windows and locks should be on either the "horn/DM" or "TL/CTSY" fuse. I blow one of those all the time, I can just never remember which. When I get home, I'll check my manual to give you a definite answer. If I remember correctly, the "PWR" fuse is basically the main for the block.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2007
  4. unplugged

Not to quibble, but power window motors draw high current. I would think that only a circuit breaker of 30amps would do the job. My 93 uses a 30amp cb.:fighting0072:

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Not that a Suburban is anything like a Toyota Tacoma but I'd recommend pulling all the fuses and checking them one at a time it wont take but a few minutes with a fuse puller.
    On one of my Tacoma's I lost windows, gauges, A/C fan, and radio, right after hooking my trailer to the truck and putting it in reverse, a dealer tech told me to check the inst/gauge fuse, sure enough it was blown. Wanting to know why a trailer would blow all those items I started looking at the schematic and found those items all had a feed through the the gauges, only a relay wire, but when the fuse blew they stopped operating. Btw the trailer lights were still operating correctly.
    I got curious and looked at the system on my Suburban (1997) and found it had similar feeds to signal certain items. So now when I blow a fuse or have a electrical malfunction I make it a habit to check all the fuses.

6. coldsteel1993

coldsteel1993 Rockstar

Thanks everyone

It ended up being a ground. I did everything you guys said. But thanks for all the help. I am really amazed at how fast the replies were.:great:

7. unplugged

Tell us more.

How did you isolate the trouble to a grounding issue? Where was the ground fault at? Just wanting to know for the benefit of others.:glasses:

8. Crawdaddy

hmm...grounding issue... I never thought about that. When I bought my sub, the front power windows didn't work, but when you hit the switch, you could faintly here the motor trying to work. Then, one day, my front passenger window just decided it was going to start working. It's VERY annoying that my front driver doesn't work still though. Please do tell about your grounding issue fun, that might be what's going on with my Sub.

9. coldsteel1993

coldsteel1993 Rockstar

After checking all the fuses I decided to run a hot wire directly from the battery. Still nothing so I got angry and when I did I put the hot wire on the ground side of the switch, and nothing. So I put the wire on the negetive side of the battery and the windows all worked again. The Ground wire coming from the door to the inside of the truck was broken. So I just re-grounded to the inside of the door.

10. Crawdaddy

and all the windows started working again when you grounded one door, or did you have to repeat the procedure for each door?