1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking for a good Power Programmer for my 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by rprice, Jun 4, 2012.

1. rprice

rprice New Member

I have not happy with the power that my chevy puts out when going up hills. I have been doing reaserch about different power programmers and would like some input as to what you think or have used. I have the 4.8L v8 and have to keep my foot flored to climb hills just to take the highway out of the hot phoenix valley. Can anyone please help with their opinions. Thank you.

Rprice
  2. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the GMTC. In my opinion the Edge programmer is great, I have one the Edge CS and I love it. I have not had any others so I can't compare from experience but I can tell you I did allot of research and reading reviews before purchasing mine and I could not be happier. Further more it is more impressive that I expected and the customer service is unbelievable. They are a little pricey compared to some others but you get what you pay for. Check them out. If someone says they know of a better programmer ask them if they have had the Edge. http://www.edgeproducts.com/ Good luck and welcome to the club. :glasses:
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I am of the opinion that any programmer you buy should be able to support custom tunes from a third party customizer/tuner, otherwise all you did was buy a fancy doo-dad that offers improvement over OEM performance ... that isn't customized for your truck's specific behaviours based on logged data.

A programmer that can handle custom tunes in addition to its canned tunes allows you to see immediate gains from the canned tunes on the handheld device ... until such time as you elect to get a custom tune done for your truck in order to maximize your improvement. Every truck is a little bit different, so to gain the most from a programmer you need a custom tune specific to your truck, not some canned tune intended to generically work well on all trucks. Thus, I am a strong supporter of Diablosport devices. A custom tune can be had for as little as $135.00 once you own one ... and Diablew (a supporter of this site and a tuner who does custom tunes) has bundled device and tune packages. He can be reached via PM on this site if you have questions; he goes by @06MonteSS, here.

Surreal

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with Diablosport; I'm simply a happy owner of one of their devices and a custom tune by Diablew.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  4. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

yes, a diablosport programmer can definitely help to wake you the truck up!!! LOL....

comes with preset tunes on it that will help to get you some better response and performance.. and as Surreal has mentioned, you can also get custom tuning done for it (which you can't with other handhelds ;) ) and you can gain even more... I've done custom tunes for hundreds and hundreds of these trucks...

and as far as gains go... yes - absolute hp/tq gains are hard to predict... every vehicle is different... even if they're the same and have similar mods... location/weather, fuel used, elevation/altitude, etc etc all play a role... the same holds true for mileage gains - those variables, plus driving habits/style, highway/city, etc all make a difference.... you could gain no mpg increase, or you could gain up to about 3 mpg increase... tough to say due to the variables in play... and the lift and bigger, heaver wheels & tires don't help, haha....

and I CAN tell you with confidence with the custom tuning, that you will have a very noticable performance difference/gain over and above the canned preset diablo tunes...

With the custom tune, you'll gain even better/quicker throttle response & acceleration, stronger/harder pull, smoother & quicker power delivery throughout the rpms, etc... and sometimes, maybe even a little better gas mileage - if you can keep your foot out of it! hahaha...

I have gained people anywhere from 15-39hp, and 12-23lb. ft. torque...and 0 to 3.5 mpg... (and that's over and above the gains already obtained from the preset tunes)... again, obviously mods, fuel used, etc all played a role in who gained what...

the Diablosport Trinity is really what you'd want...

the Trinity has the tcm/tranny support and the tranny changes are nice. quicker, firmer shifts, you can adjust the shift points, firmness, etc.. it has much better data logging... has a windshield mount (like a gps), a bigger, color touch screen so it's easier to go through while it's mounted... you can watch/view the data without having to hold it, since it's mounted to the windshield... there's also an available gauge pod mount adapter for it, so if you have a gauge pod like on your a-pillar, you could mount it right in there with the pod mount... the Trinity will also get an update in the future that will allow you tune more than one vehicle at a time with it...

But, the inTune will also work for your truck, and will be getting an update for it in the near future that will let you change/adjust tcm/tranny parameters as well... but right now, the inTune does not have tcm/tranny support.

as for the difference between the two... I actually have both the inTune and Trinity for my car... engine tune wise, the tunes are the same. but, the Trinity has the tcm/tranny support and the tranny changes are nice. quicker, firmer shifts, you can adjust the shift points, firmness, etc.. the inTune does not have tcm/tranny support yet - but it is supposed to be getting an update in the near future that will add it. I also like the Trinity better for data logging - the logging is better, and since it has a windshield mount (like a gps), a bigger, color screen, so it's easier to go through while it's mounted... you can watch/view the data without having to hold it, since it's mounted to the windshield... there's also an available gauge pod mount adapter for it, so if you have a gauge pod like on your a-pillar, you could mount it right in there with the pod mount... the inTune does not have a mount, so you have to hold it or put it on the seat next to you, it's a little harder to figure out and find where the parameters are to log, etc... the Trinity will also get an update in the future that will allow you tune more than one vehicle at a time with it... again, these are MY personal preferences... other people like the smaller intune better (it's the size of a credit card), and having to hold it or lay it on the seat may be no big deal to them... but for me, for my own personal preferences, I like the Trinity better...

So really, it's up to you :)

I sell both the inTune and Trinity programmers, and I also offer a package deal for them that includes my custom tuning at a reduced rate, so you'd save money. Here's info:

inTune:
    http://www.diablewtune.com/intune_deal.html

Trinity:
    http://www.diablewtune.com/package_deal.html

and please, feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have... I'm more than happy to help out any way that I can...

Thanks!
    -Lew
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012