1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking for a hood shield any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Pikey, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I bought a 2005 yukon xl to replace my totaled 03 yukon. I was able to get the in channel vent visors that @EGRUSA gave me off of the other truck before the insurance company took it. (That was an interesting process as the battery was split in half) I want to put a hood shield on it to finish off the look and protect my hood. Does anyone have any recommendations for a brand to checkout? EGR, AVS, Weathertech, Lund, GTS, Wade? If the manufacture offers multiple models please indicate which model you are telling me about. Positive and negative experiences with your hood shield? I prefer not to drill any holes to mount the shield. Here is a pic of the new truck. Sorry that the quality stinks, I used my phone. Thanks in advance for your input!

0730121443b.jpg 0730121443.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've got a Weathertech Bug And Stone Deflector on my truck. It uses the OEM hood guard mounts (i.e. not taped on; no drilling).

Here's some product lit: http://www.weathertech.com/product-education-center/stone-and-bug-deflector/

Here's a pic of it (it's also visible in my sig pic if you look closely):
    [​IMG]

If you want something less prominent ping @AMac, as she has something that's super low profile. I don't remember who makes it...
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Why not stick with EGR? They do make a good product....
  4. Pikey

I was just looking for others opinions on the subject and I have not been able to find a pic of a 2000-2006 truck with an EGR hood shield on it. So, I do not know what it would look like. I do like the lower profile style.
  5. SurrealOne

This thread has pics of an EGR Superguard that was provided to a forum user by the EGR rep, here, gratis ... as his hood had been keyed. Talk about excellent service -- that's incomparable service: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/94353-Superguard-Hood-Shields?p=492340

It might be higher profile than you want. I don't know what you're looking for, but there are sdome advantages to the guard being a bit higher profile
  6. Pikey

I saw that thread. It is a NNBS truck. I have a NBS truck and am trying to find a picture of one with a EGR hood shield. I like a little bit of a gap between the hood and shield. That way I can get behind it to clean the hood
  7. SurrealOne

Maybe [MENTION=51367]EGRUSA[/MENTION] can get you some pics of a NBS with the EGR unit installed?
  8. Pikey

That would be great! Last time I spoke with Ben from [MENTION=51367]EGRUSA[/MENTION] he said that they just finished up a photo shoot with one. I am sure that he will be around soon and maybe he will be able to post a pick for me. I can't imagine that it would look bad, as EGR tends to do things very sleek and smooth. I just don't want to buy one sight unseen. Chances are that I will go with them just to finish off the EGR package on my truck. I still have the flares I won from them also. I just need to get the correct paint color again. I had the paint for my 03 and an appointment to get them sprayed the day after my accident. Needless to say I did not have them sprayed they color of my wrecked truck.
  9. EGRUSA

EGRUSA New Member

Sorry to hear about the accident, hope everyone was ok!
    AVS, Weathertech, Lund, GTS, Wade?
    No way one of my grand prize winners is going to downgrade to one of those shields!

I couldn't access my library right (down for maintenance) so I snapped a few of the chrome version we have on one of our girls Tahoe here.
    Not the best pics but you get an idea of the overall design.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shoot me an email to bena@egrusa.com and Ill send you out a replacement free of charge!
  10. Pikey

Wow, I am always amazed by [MENTION=51367]EGRUSA[/MENTION] and their generosity! Thank you Ben. I will send you an email right away. Yes, everyone was ok. Luckily, my wife and toddlers were not with me at the time.