Looking for a job / new place to live

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by donyms, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hey guys and gals, I am self employed now and have been for the last eight years. My life has had allot of turns and changes over the last couple of years and I no longer want to be here in South Mississippi or self employed. I am thinking about North or South Carolina, Tennessee, Possibly East Texas or other suggestions. What my girlfriend and I are looking for is good climate, preferably not many bugs "down here you drive 10 miles and your windshield is covered" Places to go and things to do for people our age 40ish, decent rental prices for a house with a fenced yard and we don't want to have to drive far to shop or get a Starbucks. I Sell and service industrial woodworking machinery and have done this for the last 16 years + I am experienced in Hydraulics, pneumatics, machine controls including electronic, electrical, pneumatic, hydraulic, PLC and CNC. I am also pretty good with computers, programs, hardware and software. Needless to say a job must come first but I do not want to move to a place that is not where I want to be. I am looking for any suggestions on the job front or nice places to move. Thanks in advance. :glasses:

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've lived in Washington, Idaho, California and Texas. Pros and Cons for all of them. I would prefer a place with a slightly cooler climate and more mountains and streams type stuff, but it's ok for now.

Texas is great for jobs, but it's hot and you do get bugs, but not as bad in Miss. Can't speak for the other places, I'd like to learn more about them myself, but Texas is wonderful to work if you're self employed.

3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Virginia beach/hampton roads has all the shipyards. plenty of work for someone like you. it gets hot, but not terribly so. just alot of people here. bugs arnt to bad either.

Alex

4. lonelywolf858

lonelywolf858 Rockstar 100 Posts

Stay out of Illinois. This state is going to hell in a hand basket and it has no signs of improvement. Dam liberals.

5. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

No fear of this guy moving to the land of Obama. Thanks for the heads up though. :lol:

6. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Western NC and Northeast GA isn't bad. We actually have seasons and there are alot factories that are needing a good machine techs.

7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Ga Been there done that.. The NE is where you will make Good money BUT there are also 30 people looking at the same job every hour.. You gotta be fast.. You can make more here if your good BUT rent will not be cheap. Shopping Your Girl will love it...And Starbucks.. Are you kidding? Plenty and Great Pizza and Bagels... :great: I too might be moving to IL soon to be with my Dogs and Wife... Info soon.. Good Luck in your search..

8. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

With your experience should be able to get a job anywhere, Denver had a big boom in jobs and has lots of industry. My youngest neice lives there , works for a printing co. I'm afraid you can't excape the BUGS their everywhere!

9. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

Texas has it's fair share of bugs, however you'll run into them in the more wet areas where you have lakes and rivers. Near the more populated areas you don't have TOO much to worry about. Jobs are in abundance here, but usually to those with experience in the field they have applied in.

Not to mention our cheap cost of living :)

10. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Lots going on in northern ga these days. Being in cunstuction in the southeast and fiber optics nationally I'd have to say we have a great climate lots to do and growth in a lot of areas. Cheap rentals as well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.