1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking for a quick fix. Spare Tire stuck.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Corins, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Corins

Corins Member

I'm expecting my new tires to be here tomorrow and I have one coming for a spare as well, my old spare tire and rim are still in the factory location under the truck. So today I went to take that tire down and put it in the box of the truck and ran into a snag. I took off the lock below the tailgate, put the linked jack rods into the hole to screw the tire down and after it came down about 3 inches it stopped and started clicking while trying to turn and not dropping, its also doing the same thing going up so the tire is now hanging and flopping around while driving.

Does anyone know how I can get this down, I tried getting up under the truck to see if anything is visible but with the tire still mostly all the way up there is no room to get my arms up, barely enough room to see.
  2. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What i had to do with my dads truck is take the torch and cut the wire. You can always put the end cap further up the wire, but my dad prefered to have it in the box of his truck. He says, if the thing wont come down when i don't need it to, what will make it come down when i need it? So he just locks it in the back of his truck.
  3. Corins

Corins Member

Only problem though is that the end cap isn't out of the shaft enough to expose the cable, so I can't even cut it, cause that was my original idea.
  4. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Maybe soaking the mechanisim with penetrating oil - stay away from the exhaust.
    Just an idea.
  5. 07silverado07

07silverado07 Rockstar 100 Posts

i have this very same problem with my truck. i havent came up with a solution and the guys at the dealorship said it worked fine for them. guess its a good thing i got roadside assistance. if you get yours to come down please let me know what you did