1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking for advice on a wheel cleaner and it has to be safe.

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by JTWard, Sep 14, 2013.

1. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

I need a wheel cleaner for my 1990 Chevy Silverado and it has 15" GM Rally wheels painted silver by my local body shop and they have chrome center caps and trim rings. I have a bottle of Black Magic Tinium wheel cleaner which says it safe for all wheels but I don't to find out the hard way their not telling the truth

Attached Files:

2. JnBama

JnBama Member 2 Years 500 Posts

3. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Try Windex. I have used that plenty of times before. It's not the best, as in, it may take several applications, but it works to break down the dirt and even dried bugs! I've used it on my grille and the front side of my side mirrors as well.
  4. kennythewelder

kennythewelder Member 100 Posts

The ring and center caps are stainless steel. The rims are painted, so anything that is safe to wash your truck with, will be safe to clean your rims with. How long has it been since they have been painted? it takes at least 6 weeks for your new paint to cure. You can not apply any wax or sealer until then, and you need to be gentle with them until the 6 week mark (just mild soap and warm water, and gentle rinse), That's the advice the body shop gave me after my repaint in October. By the way your truck looks grate.
  5. squatchy

squatchy Member 100 Posts

Adams green wheel cleaner is pretty fantastic stuff, and its safe for paint.
  6. thzpcs

thzpcs Member

Just use a painted wheel safe wheel cleaner. If it's gentle enough for painted wheels, it'll be fine on everything else.