1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking for Gov / Police Suburban info

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by MPA11, Jan 22, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. MPA11

MPA11 New Member

Hey fellas, my name's Matt and I just found thissite after looking for "Burbs" online and I have to say I love ithere already. Just saw a guy tryin to sell a bug deflector by bartering withcases of beer. They don't do that on my Jeep forums.

I'm here for a couple reasons. I'm looking for aneducation on the trucks - what options are available, and where to find it.

I'm looking for an 03 Black Suburban with all the Super secret agent bells and missles I can get in it. I want it as "Pvt Security Contractor" looking as possible, inside and out, without costing an arm and a leg. Mileage isn't an issue, but of course I'd want a Solid Healthy truck that's the "best deal" I'd hope to find.

Going back to my first impressions for a second, I get the feeling I'm here with fellow "enthusiasts", so I don't think I have to explain why I'd want this. But in case I do, I think they're Really cool and they have lots of Horse Power. And if it's cool and makes you smile, then I say why not? Plus I'm the eccentric type, I'd buy a deuce and a half as my daily driver if I didn't want a Burb more.

S
    o far this is a list of things I Know I want:

8.1 Vortec

Barn Doors

4WD (I know there are different types, I need the most offroad capable)

Quadrasteer ( This is just extra icing on the cake, if it's a really nice truck, I'llscrap this)

Black Exterior (Again if the truck is Really something special, who knows, I might just paint it)

Some sort of Roomy, hard plastic ballistic interior, no frills (does this exist?)

Next are just things I'd like to have if they exist, but are by no means a deal breaker.
    Some stuff I learned about in the past 5 minutes, here, on this web site and need to be taught more about, marking those with :confused:
    They're being quoted word for word.

Minor Lift 3-4" (Added on myself not a problem, who makes the best lift for this vehicle? In my mind "The Best" means rugged, reliable, and able to take a beating without needing much attention.)

Tank roof hatch. :happy: No grocery getter should be without one. (Yeah, I don't expect to find this on any truck. Any ideas where I can find one though? Preferably one that isn't 2000lbs.)

rubber flooring :)confused:) (Sounds fantastic)

manual 4x4 shifting and not auto push buttons :)confused:) (Can't tell you howmuch I'd like this over a button)

crank windows :)confused:) (more simplsitic interior door panel?)

"utility front end, and no frills" :)confused:) (Sounds very appealing)

tranny cooler, :)confused:) (also appealing)

extra corrosion protection, :)confused:) (I don't know how I've lived without it)

locker :)confused:) (MY GOD, I'D LOVE ONE)

I already have my 24" "To Punish and Enslave" decals inhand.
    Be it police packages, Govt surplus vehicles,whatever get's me the look and features I'm after.

I'm brand new to this kind of vehicle, so I'm really hoping up that you folks can offer some sort of help or guidance. Please share what ever info you can with me. It will all be very much appreciated.I look forward to joining the club and being a real member of this forum, I just need a vehicle to do it.

Thanks a lot, Matt
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member 100 Posts

Welcome aboard, Matt.

The truck in my signature is what I believe you're looking for - minus the black paint and turret. It was from AZ or NV, has paint protection, and lacks the barn doors.

I don't know what plain-jane options you'll find in the '03 era trucks, but they probably still exist. When you ask for bells and missiles, don't expect to get that from a true govmet truck - they pick em clean before going to auction, and anything ballistic will be destroyed rather than resold. Avoid the K9 vehicles, as the smell and hair never goes away.

I don't remember if the quadsteer was on the 3/4t chassis, I wouldn't mess with it at this point, no gov agency would have spent the money on it...

Check out the GSA auctions - I never signed into one, but all the instructions are there.
    Check out Govdeals.com - small department and gov stuff.
    Do a search for "specializing in government vehicles" auto sales. I bought mine in OH.

Agencies buy these in bulk, and then they're upfitted to whatever role they're needed for. When they're time is up, they take all the good stuff out and send 'em packing. Most GSA vehicles are send to auction after a set amount of years or miles. Some are beat, some are hardly broken in.

Good luck,
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You want one of those Secret Service looking Suburbans, right??
    I can see your point, but my suspicion is you won't find it as you want it
    You will have to buy the best 4X4 Suburban you can find-and then modify it.
    Like other poster said-you'll never find a high trim level option like quadrasteer on a cheapo vinyl interior Suburban.
    Not sure you can even find a roll down window on a 2003- it would be on an absolute stripper model-so it probably wouldn't come with an expensive option like the 8.1.
    Look for a 8.1 4x4-then mod it the way you want.
    Find the best BODY you can-no midwest NE rustbucket-
    TX is a good place to look for good suburbans
    If you can wait a bit-wait until we have a gasoline price spike-Suburbans drop waaaay down in price as gas goes up-maybe we'll get in a dust up with Iran-
    that will be a great time to buy a Suburban( it will be a horrible pointless screwup-but great buying opportunity-the ME sucks and will always suck-)
    Charlie
  4. Kraziken

Kraziken New Member 100 Posts

If you watch Ebay, occasionally you'll see a special Sububan. EMP protected, bullet proof glass, etc.

For a Zombie apocalypse vehicle they look pretty cool. But then you think the few 1000 lbs of armor they've added to the things, they are probably lost a lot of appeal as an every day grocery getter.
  5. MPA11

MPA11 New Member

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, really.
    I'm not looking for anything civilians aren't supposed to have, I'm just after the "look". I want to use this truck to promote a line of AR15 accessories I'm launching. Down the road once I'm established, I'll buy a Tank or somethin. But for now I'm just looking for a neat Suburban to get me to and from and do the job. Any thoughts on where I can find a police package with barn doors and big motor, or is it just not happening?

I know I can cut and weld anything I want and make it perfect, but I want to see what's available already done.

Thanks a lot, Matt
  6. GMCErica

GMCErica New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well Matt, speaking as a 10 year veteran Officer here in Canada, if you drove around with a vehicle like mine, we would pull you over immediately for "impersonating a police Officer, law enforcement Officer" etc.. and the vehicle would be impounded and you would be charged. That is a federal law here, that goes for impalas, tahoes, trucks, any vehicle that looks like an enforcement vehicle. You can not buy any Police package/security/law enforcement package unless you are in a force. The vehicles that are done for circulation for the officers, are sold at auction, and almost everything is taken off the vehicle. You can put on a light bar, but no blue, red, and yellow colours, no radar detectors, side/spot lights, and super tinted windows.. etc..

I would strongly advise you to speak with local law enforcement and check out that law in your state, cause I know that they have one in most states. And, personally, I wouldn't even go there... Unless you are looking to get stopped and charged. Honestly, If you showed up in my city like that, I would pull you over, impound the car, and charge you.
  7. Kraziken

Kraziken New Member 100 Posts

As a former police officer. I can say, unless you are using lights and sirens to pull people over, it is perfectly OK in the states to own former police vehicles. Some of them still equiped with a majority of the hardware.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBU...4753050?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item46006b751a
  8. GMCErica

GMCErica New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well, I guess Canadian Law are much stricter and tougher when it comes to "impersonating a Police Officer/Law Enforcement Officer". I never said that he couldn't own a former law enforcement vehicle, where in my post did I say that?? I said that most are sold at auction, and stripped of the police package, which speaks for it's self what it is intended for. There are lots of reasons those laws are in affect, to protect the public and Officers from people that "impersonate Officers", etc.. I advised him to speak with his local states' law enforcement, that is the proper advise to tell someone. and why does he want or need to be driving around with a "police package" vehicle?? Because it is cool?? If you want to drive a Police Vehicle so bad, go and join the force...
  9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

In the USA cop cars are commonly sold at auction.
    They are ALMOST ALWAYS CROWN VICS- with all emblems lights removed.
    You can always tell a cop car-it is a while Crown Vic with those cheapo steel wheels.
    In general they have 100,000 miles- but more wear than a normal 100,000 miles since cops tend to leave them running idling to keep the AC on.
    It is HOT in south Louisiana.
    A BUDDY OF MINE WAS A MOTOR POOL mechanic- he was no fan of Crown Vics -or Fords-and no fan of how the cops un necessarily dog them-run over curbs etc.
    Ford has improved their engineering and QC- but 80's 90's Crown Vics were not great cars and being a cop car meant they saw hard service.
    Now some rank cops and some Levee cops had nice Tahoes etc that saw relatively light service.
    I would steer clear of run of the mill cop cars-maybe something owned by ranking cop ok-usually higher trim level-might even have leather around here.
    Secret Service has those Cool looking BLACK SUBURBANS -cool looking-doubt they auction them-
  10. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Member 100 Posts

I believe he is looking to use it for promotional reasons...