1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Looking for information on underhood light ?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by JTWard, Oct 13, 2013.

1. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

SANY0331.jpg SANY0332.jpg SANY0329.jpg Hello all, Does any one know what this light is and more importantly, what fuse or power source it is powered by ? It has a light unit that is feathered to the main unit by a 12 foot cord so you can use it to change a flat tire of some other reason where you need a little light. It has a crank to recoil the light back into the unit and a catch. It has a magnet to you can attach it the a fender or anything metal. I rebuilt mine out of a wreaking yard and I tested in the a continuity tester and the unit lights up, but I don't have power to the plug-in power wire in the engine compartment. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you !

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Find any good 12 volt source If I remember right it does have a on/off switch I have one in the garage that I found in a old Tahoe I've been wanting to wire up but never did..

3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Those were one of the best options GM ever put on their trucks/SUV's! I had one on my 93 Suburban and really wish they still offered it so I could have one on my Avalanche. As Enkei suggests any 12v always hot lead will suffice. Mounting provides the ground if I remember correctly.

4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

They are on the same power line as the normal under hood light. Mine died a while back I think it has an internal problem.

5. JTWard

Yeah, I refurbished mine and I put a new bulb in it and at first the switch didn't work, but I kept work it on and off and I guess it was just dirty, as it lit up fine and a few shots of WD-40. The oddest thing is there is no RPO for this thing. It's no where listed in the glove box, and I even took the glove box from the 93 Suburban it came from and I checked it VIN in the decoder I used online, and not one mention of this light, it "had" a magnet on the one side, it was gone so I got one from Radio Shack and epoxied it back on and the 12 foot cord still works fine and they had this cute little crank to dial it back in, Cute !

6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Great!!!!!Now you got me thinking... Now I gotta find mine...[​IMG]And maybe find a spot for it... Thanks....[​IMG]

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I loved the one in my 95 silverado. Not the brightest bulb, but it worked when you needed it.

8. JTWard

Yeah It wasn't all that bright, I used a Sylvania 1006 bulb. It will let you see the lug nuts if you have a flat. But I think it's worth have working ? The little catch latch was gone, so I used a 1" spot of Velcro to hold it inside it's mounting spot.

9. csltrains96

csltrains96 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have one under the hood of my '89 K2500. Still works.

10. Submariner

Submariner New Member

Hello csltrains96, that's a nice '89 you have there. I just finished restoring my '89 and I am looking for the plastic panels that cover the rear pillars and speakers, as well as the piece that goes across the rear of the ceiling and holds the back of the headliner in. any ideas where I could find them?