1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking for input

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by jbs06lt, Apr 1, 2009.

1. jbs06lt

jbs06lt New Member

Looking for dimensions for a sub box for a 06 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab. Id rather build than buy. It is a project I am sure I can handle.

Also looking for suggestions for head units, I would like one not too flashy, anyone have input on the functionality of a head unit with GPS? DVD playability is optional, must have XM hookup and preferably I-pod ready. Price is always a factor, prime would be roughly $600.

Also piecing together a system. Currently have 1 - 12inch JL Audio W3-D4. I want to go for 2 subs should I scrap this 300 watt sub and pick up two others or just find another single JL W3-D4? I do like quality not quantity. Most definitely need a new amp. looking for recommendations appropriate to the subs recommended or enough to put 300 Watts per channel to the W3s I might run. (very indecisive about this any input would be wonderful).
    - On that note looking to sell a Kicker Comp KX600:1 (300 watt) amp, and possibly the W3. PMs are appropriate.

Curious as to stock tint VLT%. My state is quite picky and If i tint the front windows the same as the rears I think I am in the clear. Noobie to the tinting world so input would be great.

I think that is enough to start with this summer. This will be a summer long project for me, but I plan on many other modifications as well. If anyone wants to toss out a good first performance mod for me that would be great. Might start a poll later.
    P.S. Sorry about wall-o-text
  2. jbs06lt

jbs06lt New Member

bump for input anything would help
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Personally, I'd dump the W3. Anything below a W6 is comparatively trash. I always had a low opinion of JL Audio until I heard their higher levels. Plus a 10W6 only needs like .75 cu ft of airspace...quite compact.
  4. reddedsilvy05

reddedsilvy05 Rockstar

first thing you must do is sell the JL audio sub....they are overpriced/overrated subs... If you want a real sub go with RE audio especially since you have an ext cab. you have tons of room....I have a buddy with an 05 ext cab with two 12" RE Audio SE's....You will not believe how amazing it sounds....it is louder and cleaner then any JL Audio setup i have heard from two 12's.....the box for that is huge, i do not know the exact specs but if you go on RE Audio's website they give you the Optimal cu. ft. the box should be for each particular sub and thats how it should be built for best sound.....the amp perfect for that setup is the US Amps Merlin MD1D....if you dont want two subs, then one will most definitely sound awesome....look on ebay for the RE Audio SE, i believe they sell for 150 a piece which is a VERY good price for those subs....as far as an amp is concerned, US Amps is the best or Arc Audio...they are a little pricey but depending on what you want it shouldnt be too bad

The headunit situation, i would suggest looking to see if you can pick up a Pioneer D3...they dont make them anymore because of the new line of Pioneer Indashes but they are way better then the new ones.....If you want a new one then check out the kenwood 5120...You can pick it up for around 600 and it has everything you want....

I have 4 10" Pioneer shallow mount subs behind my back seat and that is a very good setup as well but since you have an ext you can go with a bigger sub... Let me know if you have questions man, i know a fair amount about audio and good setups
  5. Project1

Project1 Rockstar 100 Posts

heres my setup im not super into having the loudest system i just need bass to equal it all out. this is for my 03 ext cab silverado. deminsions 21 1/2" long 12 7/8" wide 7" back side and 9 1/4 front for the seat slope.
    i just have 2 mtx 10s that best buy had a sale and a 500 watt amp nothing fancy and the boxes are overkillbut they look nice to me. you could prob mod the design for 12s i never measured for them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. jbs06lt

jbs06lt New Member

Thanks for the heads up! I will most definitely be checking out either of the two head units that were mentioned. As far as subs go there are an over abundance of brands and models so this will just take some time. Appreciate the input. Thanks for the pictures on the boxes. I am very interested in having one box to house either 2 10s or 2 12s. Anyone that has one of the SubThump or Stealthboxes please feel free to submit the dimensions for me. Keep the ideas flowing!
  7. reddedsilvy05

reddedsilvy05 Rockstar

What are the dimensions under your backseat? Also do you have a big hump in the middle of the backseat? I will try to get the dimensions of my buddies box with the 2 12" RE Audio SE's.....do you have a budget?
  8. Project1

Project1 Rockstar 100 Posts

you could put 2 10s in the boxes i put up. just so ya know
  9. jbs06lt

jbs06lt New Member

i want a single two sub box thats all
  10. blueZ71

blueZ71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I second this motion! I could really use the specs from a subthump box please share if you have! I started making a prototype box out of cardboard to test fit dimensions but it looks like I won't be able to get the air space that the subthump box is rated at which I need badly. And I'm too frustrated to keep at it if I know I can't get the airspace I need..

Btw, I have two Kenwood KFC-W3011 subs and a KAC-9104D amp, cost about 300 on dealercostcaraudio. Don't forget they price match so type the model number into google and get the best price from someone you can trust like dealer. I've no idea how it will stack up but I think for 300 green it's a nice name brand setup I can trust.