1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking for some headers.

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by 04GMC_len, Jul 15, 2013.

1. 04GMC_len

04GMC_len New Member

Hi;

I'm looking around for some headers. I want that rumble that you get from them; however, I don't want to sacrifice much of my fuel economy. Should I go with long tubes or shorties? Also; do any of you know where I can find a used pair? Perhaps from another member. I have a 2004 Vortec V8. Thanks in advance!
  2. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

From eveything I have heard shortys are a waste. Get on peformancetrucks.net and check out their classifieds. There is always go-fast parts for sale over there.
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

4. 04GMC_len

04GMC_len New Member

Thanks all; I was actually interested in long tubes. Appreciate those links!
  5. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I remember watching muscle car on spike, and they put a LS engine on the stand and tested it with stock manifolds, shorties, and long tubes. The shorties gave the best bang for the buck (cost vs gain). The biggest gain was with the long tubes on mid to high rpms.
  6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

If I remember right I think shorties are supposed to do better on the low rpm torque (maybe why Banks calls em torque tubes). long tube Headers more top end power. The long tube pacesetters are under $300 in the link above. Now the Kooks are almost $900

- - - Updated - - -

Now a problem with headers is getting them in a vehicle and two a lot have leak issues at the manifold.
  7. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

And tri y's are suppost to be the best of both worlds, and almost twice the cost
  8. 04GMC_len

04GMC_len New Member

I really like PaceSetter. I had them on my V6 Firebird. May get some for the truck. Plus; it's always reasonably priced.
  9. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Everything I have ever read show long tube headers as being better for gaining torque/power over low to mid range RPM... because they are better at creating a vacuum to pull out the spent exhaust gases. That's the main reason I chose them... just do a search on the internet looking for short tube vs long tube headers.

On another note... either way you go short or long tube will be better than the stock manifolds.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  10. 04GMC_len

04GMC_len New Member