Looking for some opinions on a truck I found

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by dvferrara, Dec 29, 2011.

1. dvferrara

dvferrara New Member

Sorry guys I do not have any pictures but I have seen pictures of it myself. It is a 1997 Black K1500 Silverado with the Vortec 350 in it and a tan leather interior and Z71 package. It comes with a tonneau cover and a hitch. No rust anywhere except a small spot underneath the hood which I will sand down and paint (so it doesn't end up like the rocker panel in my picture). The truck is very very clean. It was owned by a mechanic who was also somewhat of a classic car collector. All his cars have low mileage and are all spotless (he has 8 I think). Here is the best part; it only has 32,000 miles and the woman is asking $4500. I think I might be able to get it for less but either way I think $4500 is a damn good price. The only downside is it has been sitting for 5 years so the gas is going to be stale. It is fuel injected so I don't think I need to replace the old gas with new gas, but I do know there will be things on there that might need replacing (plugs, wires maybe fuel filter and battery). I'm going to look at it Saturday morning, what do you guys think?

2. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It sounds like a great truck. Some pictures would be nice

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Price is right- buy it if nothing wrong jumps out at you.

Why is it so cheap?
    Sometimes too cheap is a warning sign.
    Ask seller "why so cheap"
    He is a mechanic-so he KNOWS what things sell for.
    Make sure you test drive it-yes it might run bad with the old gas.
    Why did it sit for 5 years?? Mechanic let it sit for 5 years?
    Even if it has some problems-low miles and low price mean buy it
    Charlie
    PS like has been said-change every liquid immediately

4. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't think $4500 is a good price for a truck that is 15 years old, but the mileage is low. It's surely not collectable at that vintage, but on the other hand it has a lot of mileage left in it. Bottom line, if you like that year and body style, make your own decision. i have a '96 x-cab sitting in my back yard for the last 4 years with a bad 4l60E I didn't think was worth $1000 or I would have sold it a long time ago.

5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

In the Midwest-folks love 4x4- a not rust bucket 4X4 GM 1/2 TON -sells for good $$.Slightly better than it would sell for in Louisiana.
    This assumes nothing is obviously wrong with it.
    Your "runs good when running" truck is not worth much. Heck it can't even be test driven-$1000 on a GOOD DAY!
    Bet it doesn't have 40,000 miles on it or you would have had the trans rebuilt(probably 175,000 miles considering the dead trans).
    $4500 for a 40,000 mile 4x4-great deal most places(I would look carefully for rust of course-he is in the land of the rust bucket)
    Charlie

6. dvferrara

dvferrara New Member

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. Sorry I forgot to mention that the man who was a mechanic suddenly passed away 5 years ago and his wife is selling the cars now. He did keep all his cars in tip top shape when he was still around though. That is why the truck has not moved for 5 years. A guy I work with is doing all the selling for her and he has seen it. I do not want this car for a collection or anything I just love 90's GM trucks. I have one but its a 4x2 with 126,000 miles and a TBI 305 and the rocker panels are gone due to rust. We have owned it since new in '94. I use it for a small lawn care business I have and I was thinking about getting into plowing too and that is why this z71 interested me and to find one in Chicago (where salt is used on the streets generously) that old with basically no rust at all is very difficult. Also it is the more powerful vortec 350. Although it is such a beautiful truck so I don't know if I would want to put a plow on it haha.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

The only reason the guy ever bought this truck was to haul his 11 second Grand National to the drag strip. He also has a '67 Buick GS, '77 Buick Century, '83 Camaro (305), '85 Jeep Wrangler, '87 Blazer, 90 something Cavalier, '01 Wrangler. He also has a garage full of spare parts for all these cars. All cars are in great shape except the Cav and Blazer which were used as daily drivers since bought. KBB valued this truck at about $8000, and in these times we all know nobody is going to buy a used truck for that price. Everybody wants a fuel efficient car, but I need one I can drive to work and school but also use for work in the summers with my lawn care business. I have been looking for trucks for about a year now and seen some with 170,000 miles for $4000, 200,000 miles for $2500 and all kinds of other rust buckets that guys were trying to make a good buck off of so this seems like a great deal to me.

7. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I love those trucks. I'd buy it. Even if it took some work, like my truck did. Right now I'm looking for a 92-94 GMC 4x2 to fix up for a every other day driver.

8. billnorman

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  9. dvferrara

dvferrara New Member

Yea I am just tired of getting stuck on flat ground on a small patch of ice or wet grass because I have an open diff. Plus I love the look of these trucks of the 90's and I have made peace with the fact that I will probably not be able to afford a nice new GMC 2500 4x4 for years to come haha. From what I am told the truck hardly has any gas in the tank which is a good thing. Hopefully the battery will take a charge, it's at least 5 years old, probably more and it has been connected all these years so I know its going to be dead. By the way BillNorman how is that G-80? Is it always engaged or does it only kick in when you start to slip? I can imagine that would be difficult to tow with if it is always engaged.

10. billnorman

The locking rear is a locker not a posi and has zero slip, which can be felt on dry pavement if you make a sharp turn when it's locked from one wheel slipping. The wheels will skip a bit if you make a U-turn. After the wheel speed hits 25MPH it opens again mechanically. Don't hammer it when locked because it will just unlock. 4X4 still beats it easily in mud or snow.