1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking for specific Rim/Tire size for 02 Tahoe

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by rickp, Nov 5, 2012.

1. rickp

rickp New Member

I got an 02 Tahoe and I want to put rims and tires on it, but I'm looking for somewhat of a specific look.

The rims I want are the American Racing Dagger (all silver). Now here's where I need your help. I don't know if I should get 20s or 22s?

As for tires, I don't want low profile tires or aggressive off road tires.

What I want is to fill the wheel well with the rim/tire set. I hate having the big gap over the tire in the well, if that makes sense.

The closest tire I've found by looking through the web is the Nitto Terra tire, but again not sure about the size. Should I go with a 285/55/20 or something a little samller with a 22" Rim. I'm sure there are other tires out there but I can't seem to find what I want. I've looked through web images with no luck.

BTW, My truck is mainly a street truck with the occasional dirt road.

Thanks
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It is a matter of preference. I would go with the 20's. That is because I like a little more side wall. The truck will probably ride nicer with 20's
  3. rickp

rickp New Member

I agree I like more side wall too.

What size do you thingk would be good with 20s? 285/55??
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

x2.....on going with 20's......as far as what Tire Size to go with, if this helps any, G.M. runs with...275/55's on the 20in" Rims, as you can see, my Silverado(Below)has this Rim-n-Tire Setup.

One item to keep in mind, and that is Depending on what Size Tire's(Overall Diameter)your Tahoe has Now, by going with 20's, your Most likely going to have a Larger Overall Diameter of Tire, and with this change in Tire Size, your Speedometer will be off and will Need and/or Should be reprogrammed for this Change in Tire Size(Overall Diameter)....

Here are some of the Specs on.....3.....20in" Tire Size's:
    .......285/55's.....have an Overall Diameter of.....32.4ins".....Side-Wall of.....6.2ins".....Section Width of.....11.2ins"
    .......275/55's.....
    have an Overall Diameter of.....31.9ins".....Side-Wall of.....5.9ins'......Section Width of.....10.8ins"
    .......285/50's.....have an Overall Diameter of.....31.3ins".....Sade-Wall of....5.6ins"......Section Width of.....11.2ins"

5. rickp

rickp New Member

According to the rep from Tires Rack.Com he said that by mounting 20s with the tire options I have I might end up with a smaller overall diameter than maybe mounting 18s and getting a slightly bigger tire.

I don't want tires with very small sidewalls.

He suggested to maybe drop the truck by maybe and inch or two so the wheel setup will fill the wheel well nicely.
    Im not sure that I want to go that route, not unless I have to.

Mike what size rims and tires are on your truck? and is it lowered at all?
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

The Rims(Factory)are 20 x 8.5....they have a 6in" Backspace and a +31 Offset, the Tire Size is the 275/55's....and my Silverado has a Shock Ride Height Up Front and a....2in" Rear Shackle Drop.....What Size Rims and Tires(Overall Diameter)do you have now on your Tahoe??
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  7. rickp

rickp New Member

Right now I'm running 265/70R16. All Stock.
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

The below link may be able to help with finding the right size tire, on the left-side, enter your Current Rim and Tire Size, and then on right-side enter a tire size that you may want to go with, and it will show you the Specs of both size tires,

Link,
    http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

On my Silverado.....with the 2in" drop in the Rear, and the 275/55's....with this Setup, it has filled out the Wheel Wells Nicely, to the point that most think that I have a 2/4 Drop on my Silverado, instead of just a 2in" Rear Drop......with the 275/55's for my truck its a Smooth Ride, no issues with rubbing or anything else for that matter......I know were talking about a Truck vs SUV.......with that being said, just giving you some input, regarding the 275/55's......
    :glasses:

9. rickp

rickp New Member

Thanks, I'll take a look at the link. I found this one too.
    You can enter your rim and tire and compare to other sizes. You need to look at the actual numbers because I dont think the images are accurate at all.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp?action=submit
  10. And going off what Mike said the 275/55 fit the wheel well nicely and the sidewall is enough to go off road or over a curb, actually use it like a truck and not have to worry too much about the rims.