1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

looking for Tonneau for my 2008 Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by kwikchevy, Mar 1, 2011.

1. kwikchevy

kwikchevy New Member

Hi everyone, i just got a 2008 Silverado Crew Cab shortbed and the first thing I need is a Tonneau cover for it. I have looked a a lot of diffent styles and all seem to have pros and cons. I like the BakFlip and other fold styles but not sure about it's weather sealing capabilities as I haul printed paper material and need to keep it fairly dry back there. Right now I'm leaning toward the UndercoverSE and see that I'll have to remove the tailgate fin cap to use it.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

IMG_0196.jpg
  2. jordanr1987

jordanr1987 Rockstar

3. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

The tailgate cap can be replaced with a flat one like the HD trucks have, or an aftermarket one by companies like Wade or Westin. These types usually just use doublesided 3M molding tape to secure them. I had to replace mine when I got my top, and haven't had any problems with it. I would think the Undercover would keep you drier than any of the roll up or flip type covers. It extends slightly over the bed rails with nowhere for water to drain except off the bed. My father has a flip top by Peragon, and it is not waterproof at all. My knowledge on this subject is limited, and I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in soon.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I don't want to sound like a downer, but its hard to make a pickup bed waterproof. Every truck bed is differant because of manufacture tolerance. Some don't leak at all with a cover and others do. I've never seen a tonneau cover manufacture say there covers are watertight. They keep most water out, but not all.
  5. kwikchevy

kwikchevy New Member

hey jordanr1987, I really like the BakFlip but probablly not as water resistent as I would like. Winter won't be too much of a problem as we get more water than snow down here.

troutbug I agree i think the Undercover extending over the rails is the best bet, like silveradotrailblazer said nothing is going to be water proof, so I'm looking for the next best thing.

Thanks for you thoughts
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  6. silveradotrailblazer

The hard covers that roll down the bed rails like the Undercover are the most watertight. Theres a tailgate seal (gasket) that runs around the sealing edge that helps keep out water. Also we used to put two layers of sealing tape on the front of the bed where the cover hinges are, water seems to get in here on some trucks at highway speeds when raining. Let me say I've been away from the truck customizing trade for about 5 years so they may have improved on this with newer gasket seals.
  7. kwikchevy

kwikchevy New Member

I think you're right about that hard cover. I really would rather have the fold backs for access to the bed but I understand that the UndercoverSE is pretty easy to remove so I beleive I'm gonna go with that one and hope for the best!

thansk, bob
  8. silveradotrailblazer

I forgot to say in my other post that the tailgate seal I mention doesn't come with any of the covers, you purchase it seperatly and it does seem to work well at keeping water and dirt/dust out. I agree that the UnderCover is best for your needs.
  9. tylerjrob

tylerjrob New Member

I bought a BBAK G2 about a month ago, and had it installed by the dealership. I drove it through the car wash right after I got it back. I was pretty pleased. There were only a couple of areas that leaked, and the water was very minimal and it was on the sides, no leaks in the middle. It also leaked around the tail gate, but I already have a tail gate sel ordered, and that should solve that problem.
  10. kwikchevy

kwikchevy New Member

Man I really loved the look of the Bak G2, it was my first choice, but decided to go with the UndercoverSE because I needed the most water tight cover I could find. I'm in the printing business and always hauling paper around. I think I made the right decision since I put the Undercover on I've been through the carwash twice and it comes through bone dry and I haven't had to put any extra seal kits on at all! I'll post some pics below.

Welcome to the club and thanks for your thoughts!

IMG_0204a.jpg IMG_0207a.jpg IMG_0208.jpg IMG_0209.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011