looking into alternative fuels like propane

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Quad racer#212, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Quad racer#212

Quad racer#212 Rockstar

I’m looking into alternative fuels like propane. I have a 1986 GMC sierra classic 4X4. I would like to use propane on this truck but I don’t know much about it.
    I welcome all info about this. Is there a kit I can buy for my truck? Manufacturer’s names websites any link will help. If you have propane trucks drop your info here. Will I need to change the cam or pistons in the motor?

86 gmc 4X4 2.jpg

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Somebody must make kits for propane cuz I've seen one on a Ford Pickup. They didn't change cam or pistons. They would start the truck on gasoline & they would switch over to propane. I don't remember the name of the manufacturer but have you tried Googleing "propane" of "propane conversions" etc?

3. Quad racer#212

Quad racer#212 Rockstar

yes i have gogled it. i can find all the info i want on it. But no kits or where to get one. Or even what parts to by to make it work. help help

4. stephan

I can't think of any parts that you would be able to make. Some of the parts that you won't be able to make that are involved are the tank, the regulator, the hoses, the switches & valves & the actual distributor. I will ask my friend if he still has access to that truck & if he does I'll have him look & see if there is a manufacturers name on the distributor.

5. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Check out Roush. I know they specialize in Ford, but they do a F150 propane conversion. They may make a kit or provide parts you could use. It might be a start.

6. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  7. stephan

Scott, how much $$ is your kit?

BTW, I think your avatar needs some new shocks:rofl:

8. Quad racer#212

Quad racer#212 Rockstar

I have a big block 454 in my gmc. I just want to do this cuz its different. Im working with what I have and diesel is a dirty fuel and its not cheap. Going green is not bad it is my favorite color is green lol.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  9. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Well, if you run DIESEL you can use vegie oil with no problem and you get way more milage out of a diesel then a 454 or propane..just sayin.
    They also sell kits for your 454 !!!

HAve fun blowing up....lol

10. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Check with your local natural gas company many of them run it in their trucks