Looking into getting a new gear ratio into my truck and need a little help.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by redneckchevy, Jan 25, 2012.

1. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My break in period per Yukon was the first 100 miles dont drive more than 20 miles at a time without letting the gears cool for 15-20 minutes. Then put another 400 miles on the gears with no more than 1/2 throttle and do a diff flush. And after that when pulling a trailer for the first time drive 12 miles and let the gears cool for 20-30 minutes. This took a lot of discipline for me to do, but now it is all broke in they are a blast!

2. redneckchevy

redneckchevy Rockstar

Yea it does take discipline I really want to see what my truck can do now, but I got to hold out for a few hundred more miles, the first 15 miles I went under 50 mph and I fekt the rear diff, it was just warm I could hold my hand up on it, it wasn't no where near being "hot", so after the cool down I drove like 20 miles at around 55-60 and then it was much warmer to where it felt these things were actually doing a heat cycle. So I did that about 4 times.So after the first 100 miles, will I able to drive it normal now without having to stop for cool down periods? I know I can rly floor it yet. I don't plan on pulling a trailer anytime soon, it would be well over the 500 mile mark ( I dnt do much towing anyway)

3. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

yeah, after your first 100 miles you should be fine with not letting is cool down. Just nornal driving, but just not real hard on it until after you flush it out.

4. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Ha, that makes me laugh...I forgot how challenging it was to resist "pushing" my truck and altering my driving habits during this period. Very tough.

5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

glad you like the new gears and that is a nice city increase in MPG. the break in period definately takes some patience and discipline as everyone has said but definately worth it.

6. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

When I had my 4.11s put in the shop advised a 500 mile break in....I put about 100 miles on her and then drove the truck to L.A...it made my mechanic cringe but it all went well. I went with AAM gears and so far they are still going strong.

I did a slight increase in town...highway..forget it...it didnt change. I tend to drive 80-85 also so I am sure that doesnt help.

7. redneckchevy

redneckchevy Rockstar

Yea I was quite suprised to see about a 3mpg improvement in city, that'll add up quickly to money saved in gas. haven't sat in stop n go traffic yet but hopefully ill still have a good improvement. Wish I could of done it sooner,