1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

looking to add back up camera to 2011 silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by StretchsSilverado, Mar 8, 2012.

1. StretchsSilverado

StretchsSilverado New Member

Anyone retro fit a back up camera, into a truck that didnt come with one originally? I found the GM assecories catalog offers the back up camera and rear view mirror for the silverado, I talked to the dealership parts guy and I met all the package requirements that was need to operate it, like the conveince package, locking tailgate and a few others. Has anyone else considered this or done it, wish the camera was standard with the towing package.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  2. John Hankel

John Hankel New Member

My truck had it in it when I purchased it. It is a sweet setup with that in the rear view mirror.. I would say if it has the option of the factory BUC, then get that....

It is very nice when backing up in a tight parking lot or hooking up a trailer.
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I definitely like having the back up camera. In fact, when I had mine installed, I had them put a switch on it so I could check out the tow connect area even while I was driving down the freeway. However, this was not stock as I ended up replacing my stereo deck and one of the features of it was the back up camera. I like using the deck better for the screen as it is much larger than the one in the mirror. If you are planning on changing our your head-unit, you may want to consider going that route instead. I'm actually kind of glad it did not come with my towing package, as I would have ended up using an aftermarket one anyway, thus I'd be paying for something I'm not using.

Just providing another option for you that may want to consider as your looking into....
  4. SWAT13

SWAT13 Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I love mine...it's a must on a lifted truck!!