Looking to buy a 2003.......need advice...new to Chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by VisaliaIPA, Apr 9, 2012.

1. VisaliaIPA

VisaliaIPA Member

I did a CARFAX and it is completely clean. No accidents or anything like that. It does look like factory paint as the engine compartment and other obscure places are all orange. I do plan on taking it to an auto shop that has done work before. The price at 13998 does seem a bit high considering that KBB is in the 8 to 11 range. I was able to sell my current truck and walked away with 9k so i have some play money.

2. VisaliaIPA

VisaliaIPA Member

I ran by and took a picture of the truck................

2003 chevy.jpg

3. VisaliaIPA

VisaliaIPA Member

Just got a call from the auto shop. Mechanic said the water pump is leaking and needs to be replaced (300.00) and the airbag sensor looks to be about 400 to 500 bucks. He'll need to dismantle the column to accuretly diagnose it but thats a good estimate for the repair. Other than that he said the truck is good.

Now decision time..........obviously 13900 is way to much for the truck given the repairs. So at least I have some "wiggle" room. Ideally id like to have them pay for the repairs and drop the price a bit. We will see.

4. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would pay NO MORE than book minus repair cost, minus an additional $200.00 for the time I would have to spend on it getting it fixed. If he is willing to get it fixed before you buy it, he would save $200.00.

5. UpsetProps

UpsetProps Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Regarding the air bag light: My 07 would flash the check airbag light if you tried to roll up two windows at the same time. It would do this intermittently, also would flash the service brakes message sometimes in the same scenario. I read somewhere it could just be a wire not grounding properly on the frame due to road salt buildup.

6. VisaliaIPA

VisaliaIPA Member

They actually agreed to do the repairs and dropped the price to 11k...............Cant complain about that so hopefully i get to pick it up tomorrow...............

7. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like you are getting the truck you want for a fair price.

As far as Murphy goes, I like it pretty good. Its just your typical small southern town. Cost of living is pretty low except gas, I can cross the GA line and save .20 cents a gal. Other than that I like it.

8. VisaliaIPA

VisaliaIPA Member

Well here she is...............2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 in Tangier Orange with 59,179 miles. I got a good deal and im really happy with the truck. It's raining cats and dogs so this is the best pic I can get. I'll post a few more on Sunday after I wash, clay, polish and wax it..............Thanks for everyone's help and advice.

2012-04-13_17-51-47_397 (2).jpg

9. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

OOps too late. If you live in a state with frequent or annual inspections, most will fail any vehicle with a warning light on, even a "service engine soon" light. Hope it stays fixed.