1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Looking to buy a Chevy truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by WhenJesusSavedMySoul, Dec 6, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Anybody got any good tips for looking for a used Chevy Truck.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

All the basic things that you look at when buying a used vehicle. Transfluid smelling burnt, oil leaks, odd tire wear, odd engine noises, odd drive train noise. Every body style has its own little quirks to look for. If you tell us what year range that you are looking at I am sure some guys will have some advice. If you do not know your way around vehicles then I suggest if you find one you like you and take it to a mechanic and have them check it out. Most charge between $25-$50 for a used car checkout, some good places will check the compression of each cylinder along with scanning it for trans codes. It is nice if the person that you are buying from has maintenance records.

3. Thanks for the response. I've looked at a couple that's from the internet. The first 2001 Chevy full size 5.3. price 10000 dollars. How about this year and engine. Good reports. Any thing bad?

4. Pikey

is it extended cab? 1500? 2wd or 4x4? I would checkout kbb.com and see what they say that trucks with the same miles on it are going for. The price seems a little high. But, I don't know if it is 4x4, 2500, or the miles and options. I recently sold a 02 extended cab 2wd 5.3L with 130,000. in Pristine condition inside and out for $7,000. So it depends on what they are going for in your area.

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Good advice from Pikey so far ... so I've got nothing to add.

6. Cobrasix

Cobrasix New Member

Take your time and be picky. $10k for an 01 seems very very high.

I love the 5.3L engine. Empty truck going down the highway at 68MPH, I can push 20MPG. If I'm towing a car with a gross trailer weight of 5000#(which is frequent when I'm on the highway) I can still get around 13-14MPG at 62 MPH.

If you can, I recommend looking for at least an extended cab. It's huge on the Chevy (which is why I went from Ford to Chevy). I can easily fit a car seat in the back for my sold when I take the truck somewhere.

Overall, I can't complain. My 04 1500 Z71 has 323k miles on it. Original engine. Transmission was rebuilt around 240k miles. This truck is beat on. It's not a show queen. It's either hauling a trailer, or is fully loaded in the bed. Yeah, you are going to have the random things fail. Water pumps, wheel bearings, etc. If you live in a high rust area, try to go as new as you can afford while keeping the miles down.

But really, just look around...be picky and see if you can find one that works for you. I'd stay away from modified trucks. Not because they've been abused anymore than ones like mine, just that usually the seller wants you to pay for those modifications, so you usually end up with less truck for the money compared to a stock truck.

I feel you can't go wrong with this range of Chevy.

7. It's got 108000 miles. I'm more concerned about the 5.3. I know a guy who has one. He's had it for a couple years. that engine must be rare.

8. Pikey

No, that motor is not rare at all. If I had to guess, I would venture say that over 75% of the guys on this site with a 2000 or newer truck have the 5.3L. The 5.3 can run over 300,000 miles with no major issues if properly maintained. That year are known for broken exhaust manifold bolts. GM used the incorrect material for the stud and they do not expand and contract at the correct rate, causing the heads to break off. It can be an expensive fix. Most people do not fix them until the exhaust leaks. My 02 had 4 of them broken and did not leak. I talked to the kid that bought it the other day and it is still not leaking.

9. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Agreed, but I still stay away from modified vehicles cause the chance it has been abused is greater IMO. But you just dont know unless you ask questions and hopefully you get honest answers. I also have seen videos of general things to look for when looking for an used vehicle so that a good source. Just keep doing your research until you feel you can make a knowledgeable decision.

10. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

How are things going with finding a truck, WhenJesusSavedMySoul.

Michelle, GM Customer Service assisting Evan