looking to delete my ABS as it doen't work anyway........brake lines are shot also

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by fishdoktor, Jul 6, 2013.

1. fishdoktor

fishdoktor New Member

Wondering if I can get rid of the pump and put a junction for the front lines from the front port on the master cylinder and run a line from the rear port on the M/C to the rear brakes? 2000 GMC Sierra 1500. Thanks.

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Hmm, technically you could find a way to get this done, but what do you mean it isn't working?

3. BillD64

BillD64 Rockstar

Have you run over to Rich Esler's shop and talked to him about it?

Bill

4. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Wouldnt it be easier to just pop the fuse for the ABS which should disable the pump? Brake lines are easily run and replaced.

5. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I agree with this one, assuming thats the goal he is desiring, this method is perfect

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Over the counter parts are available to do this, Ive seen it done on large tired off road trucks before.
    If I remember correctly youll need to adjust the rear bias since even though it has a bypass valve its assisted by the abs system when its operating correctly.

7. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

actually, I believe the junction and proportioning blocks are all you need to retain. cause think about it, when you pull the fuse and kill power to the ABS pump, the truck will lock its wheels and slide straight (mostly straight, unless you are trying to drift)
    so the hydraulics will do their job without the assistance of the abs pump
    if you want to delete the abs you should do it hydraulically. simply bend, plump, and flare the lines to ignore it....

8. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

With my sons 97 2500 the abs was acting up... it was coming on for no reason due to a short in the harness which crosses the A arms. It was so bad that sometimes you could hardly brain the truck to a stop. Anyway, we pulled the fuse over three years ago and the brakes still function properly... less the ABS of course. Only thing now is you can actually lock the brakes just like in the old days.