Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

looking to get a Burb, 95 or older 4x4 a must....

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Scooter, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Scooter

Scooter Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys looking to get a Burb 95 or older anything i need to look for while kicking tires.....Looking for a late 80 preferably a 2500 4x4 with the 454.

2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

That era of Burb's are sweet. The only issue I know of is in the early version with the 700r4. I am not sure what the problem was. I guy I worked with had a 93 (I think that was the year) he had to have the tranny rebuilt (this was back in 97) and when he did the shop that did the work told him about some upgrade they highly recommended he install. If I had a choice between a 700r4 or TH400 I would go with the 400. They have been around for a long time and can handle some big HP. I am sure the 700r4 can do the same with some work to it. I guess it is just personal preference.
    I don't know of any other issues. Good luck and post some pics when you get one.

3. Scooter

Hey thanks for the info. Prob won't be till after the holidays...trying to talk the wife into why it would be a good idea for me to get one...Haha... Pics will be up for sure...

4. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

A '91 2500 would have the best of all worlds IMO.... It has the later '80's body style, but the newer much stronger 4L80E trans.

5. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

If I remember right you couldn't get a 454 with 4wd until the new body sytle in 1992.

6. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

But, you could add one to an 80's model with a blown/broken 350. Get a nice roller and have a shop upgrade it to a 454!

7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Pretty sure you can get the 454-7.4 with the 96-99
    Same slightly blocky body style with lots of interior room-seats remove fold up to 98 x 50 inches(wheel wells)-so you can carry 4x8 building material inside-like a long bed pickup with a camper top-
    96-99 3/4 ton have the same heavy duty trans
    Main difference is the more advanced fuel injection-gives more HP torque and FE.-Pretty sure the 454 got the fancier FI- just like the 5.7-in 96.
    Bodys on 96-99 should have less rust-hard to find a good body in many areas-TX AZ LA and other Gulf Coast states good places to look
    Texas is Suburban central in the USA-
    Charlie

8. hoosyurdaddy

hoosyurdaddy Rockstar

Why not a 99 SLT? I think I have one lying around here somewhere.

9. Scooter

how much....haha Im not looking for to new, that means dishing out more money.