1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

loose steering

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 1990burb, May 12, 2010.

1. 1990burb

1990burb New Member

how do i tighten up the steering on my 90 burb it wonders alot and there is alot of play in the steering wheel before it acually starts to want to turn the wheels is there a quick fix for now or recommend getting a new steering box or anybody have had the same issues that can help me fix my problem
  2. cowboyjarman

cowboyjarman New Member

My 87 burb is the same way. I tightenef it up on top of the steering box. There is a srew on top with an allen head. Loosen the outer nut and hold the allen in the center and make sure it dont turn . Once loose then you can turn the set screw to tjhgten up your loose steering. And then clost it up. it help mine out.
  3. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member

My truck used to do the same until i replaced the idler arm and pitman arm. Now it steers tight and precise.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Also i believe that you still have the solid axle with the steering stabalizer??? If so that can cause wandering issues as well.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Two wheel drive or four wheel drive?
  6. 1990burb

1990burb New Member

its a 4wd.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

Well, you don't have an idler arm, and your pitman arm is not a wear component.

Best thing to do is have someone sit in the truck and saw the wheel back and forth. Just follow the motion along till you find the play. Start at the steering box. When the steering shaft turns/changes direction, the pitman arm should do the same. Then you have the Draglink with two wearable joints. Finally, the Tie-Rod has wearable joints on both ends. Don't forget to check your ball joints.