1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Loss of Braking power after brake job

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by REB, Jul 2, 2012.

1. REB

REB New Member

I recently replaced the brakes on my 2002 Silverado 1500 after 160,000 original miles. I used OEM rotors and ceramic pads. I did not bleed the brakes right away.

After driving it around for a while, the braking power seemed down and the pedal was spongy. I bled them thoroughly, and it got better but it still doesnt seem right. The pedal seems softer than before I did the brakes, and one of the rears makes kind of a low pitched when as you come to a stop, especially on hills.

Another thing I noticed is that when I press on the brakes real hard, I cannot seem to feel the pulsating of the ABS like I used to.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
  2. donyms

donyms Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Spongy brakes means needs bleeding. My experience has been that ceramic pads make the pedal seem a little softer but most wouldn't notice it. Are you sure you don't have a sticking rear rotor? do you even have rear disc brakes? Also, the ABS works when it needs to if your brakes are working more efficiently now then it would be hard to activate the ABS. I hope this helps. :glasses:
  3. steved

steved Former Member

160k? The calipers are probably sticking from age and since you moved the pistons back into the bore, its probably more noticeable.

And you changed pads, ceramic are noted for less dust generation; not braking performance...EVERY set of ceramics I have installed have been worse for braking than the semi-metallics they replaced.