1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Loss of power and sticking rear end

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by rzr4 hauler, Jun 26, 2013.

1. rzr4 hauler

rzr4 hauler New Member

Howdy
    I'm Chris Norris from Seabrook,Tx.which is south east of Houston. Work in air separation plants as a compressor mechanic. Drive an 05 Silverado 5.3 extended cab. Found this forum because I was trying to find info about my truck.
    I've noticed power loss when I pull my trailer. I never had any problems until at 75,000 miles I had my tranny flushed (which i've always heard bad things about). Recently, it seems like I'm losing power without the trailer now. I've got 96,000 miles on it and I'm wondering if I should just do a tune-up or if i need to take it to a shop and have something done.
    Also, the rear end has been sticking engaged when the roads get wet and I spin the tires a little. I've had to stop and put it in reverse to disengage it a couple times so I know I need to have that looked at. Could maybe the problems be related??

Thanks in advance
    newbie cnorris
  2. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club Chris, it's great to have you aboard. Not sure about your problem, I'm sure someone will be along soon that can help you. :glasses:
  3. Goldie

Goldie Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the Club! While I don't have an answer for your problem, I'm sure some here will be able to help.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

From your description, I would say a tune up is the logical step. A number of things could cause the power loss, but I can not tell (from your description) what kind of maintenance has been done.

The plugs should be changed at 100k, along with a list of fluids and other items. You will need the maintenance section of the owner's manual for the list. It might be the air filter, the plugs, the cat(s), the fluid may be low in the diff (front if you have one and the t-case if you have one), etc.

I also like to change the O2 sensors when the plugs are changed.
  5. 09mgray

09mgray Member 1 Year

id agree with RayVoy start With Plugs Make sure u get the ones that the manual says for ur vehical due to some dont like certin type of plugs rear diff fluid level is easy to check, and pull the dipstick on the tranny n smell the fluid if it smells burnt well u might be gettin a bad tranny, Welcome to the Forum :D
  6. rzr4 hauler

rzr4 hauler New Member

Thank you guys for the input. I'll change the plugs and check/ change my air filter.
  7. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!!

****Thread moved to correct section of forum****
  8. 89steveo50

89steveo50 Rockstar

Other options would be check the throttle plate. Look for any build up. Another thing that also works well, is using a 1/3- 1/2 can of seafoam in the vacuum line. ( the hose that goes from the brake booster into the air manifold). It works great when the engine is hot. Just slowly pour some fluid into the hose and you will hear the engine bog down and back up. As you are approaching that last bit of fluid in the 1/3-1/2 your using. Try and pour the fluid in quick enough so it kills the engine. ( if you dont, don't worry about it). let the engine sit for about 5-10 minutes and fire the truck up again. You will see smoke coming out your exhaust. Give the engine a little rev here and there. Once the smoke tends to die down, take the truck out for a spin. Hopefuilly this will help with the intake part of the engine so you don't have to worry about it.

Hope this helps slightly!