Loss of power when adding bigger wheels

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Mark, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Mark

Mark New Member

I have 2007 HD2500 Duramax Diesel with Allison transmission and with the factory tires, it moves fast and hard even with the crew cab when you punch it. I just got a torsion lift of two inches and I had the tires and rims removed and installed the 31.5-33( not too sure) inch BF Goodrich T/A's and rims and it does not move as quick as it used to. Those tires and rims are HEAVY.
    Is that because of the change in tire size and gear ratio?

Does anyone recommend a power programmer to boost the power on demand?
    Would the power programmers hurt the engine/ Allison? Wear and tear?

Thanks.
    Mark

2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It's because of the larger size tire act like a different gear ratio. But honestly I'm surprised that you can feel the difference with the duramax.:eek:

It's rumored that the power programmers actually will help your engine/trans last longer, since they reprogram for optimal parameters. Where as the manufacturers some times cripple the engines, and trans to a degree for either performance, or economy reasons. The example that springs to mind, is the original Taurus SHO came with an engine from Yamaha, that produced 400hp. (I don't know how true that is) but Ford crippled the engine because they didn't want it to have that kind of hp out of the factory.
    I guess it would really make the difference depending on how you used the programmer.

3. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hey Mark, what brand of torsion bar lift did you install and did you install yourself? I was thinking of doing mine but requires a special tool (so I've read) so any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

And how about a photo of your Silverado?

4. 98BuickRegalGS

98BuickRegalGS New Member

I've read somewhere that adding 1 pound of weight in the tires/rims is equivalent to adding 8 pounds of weight to your car.