1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lost 3-4 gear?!!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by chevysub, Aug 31, 2009.

1. chevysub

chevysub New Member

Well after getting my suburban running it will shift from 1-2 and it will just rev when it hits third gear no codes could it be a 2-3 solenoid or I am I looking at a rebuild? How can I put the tranny in limp mode to see if 3rd gear grabs? thanks 1997 suburban 5.7 4x4
  2. chevysub

chevysub New Member

forgot to mention it has very strong reverse works good.
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

You can pull the transmission fuse. That will cut the voltage to the trans which should default to 3rd gear. A check of trouble codes will also help pinpoint the problem. A bad solenoid will not cause a neutral condition. Hows the fluid condition?
  4. chevysub

chevysub New Member

Fluid doesn't look too healthy what is the fuse called that I should pull? Thanks
  5. Jimmiee

It will say transmission or trans. You can also disconnect the connector to the trans but that's a lot of work.
  6. chevysub

chevysub New Member

I looked at fuses the one in the engine and the driver side panel and I didn't see a fuse called trans is there another block of fuses somewhere?
  7. chevysub

chevysub New Member

sorry found the fuse its the PRND321 Fuse will I pulled it and dropped it to D and it grabbed good like it was in first so I dropped the gear into first and it moved up slowly like it was in third so whats going on whats my next move? thanks.
  8. Jimmiee

If you don't have 3rd gear with the fuse removed the 3-4 clutches are probably burned up. Pull the pan to verify.