1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lost dash lights and tail lights???? [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by martone68, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martone68

martone68 New Member

I have a 95 Suburban. My dash lights went out, I thought no biggie it's a fuse, No way and to top it off I don't have tail lights either. Brake and turn signals work fine, and if my boat trailer lights are hooked up, when you step on the brake pedal the dash and all interior lights come on. I have been pulling my boat for 4 years with no electrical problems. Any help would be great!
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

just a guess but i would say switch is gone. dash, taillihgts, all on same circuit. take off dash and check plug with test light, if dash lights come with test light i'ld say its switch.
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Wow, that's some electrical problem. Something is getting shorted and recircuted, obviously. Yeah, listen to fiero.
  4. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

You are missing a ground somewhere. Check the strap that goes from the negative battery terminal to the body.

When you are towing and you hit the brakes, the circuit is completed via a ground from your towing harness.

Tom
  5. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

When I wire a trailer harnes in I always put a seperate ground wire in from the truck to the trailer. A ground at the trailer and one on each side of the tail lights.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.