lots of rattling

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 95CTburb19, Feb 8, 2008.

1. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

In my 95 burb 5.7, Im getting a really bad rattling at 1600-1800 rpm's sounds like it's coming from the exhaust. The exhaust on it is pretty well toast, both the muffler and the pipes themselves. Kinda looks like swiss cheese under there. The noise sounds like it is coming front the catalytic converter or right under the front passenger floor. Does this make any sense? I know I need an exhaust but is this going to be more expensive then I originally thought?? Should I replace the muffler bearing??

PS if one more thing breaks this week, I'm going to lose it. heres the list of stuff,
    1. Sierra water pump
    2. Furnace
    3. Cell phone
    4. Exhuast noise

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Have you looked at it? In a lot of cases, there are heat shields on the exhaust that try protect other things around it from getting too hot. These heat shields are usually spot or tack welded in place, and those welds break quite frequently. And then you get the rattling.

3. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I shall goeth and checketh

Edit: Heat shield looks like it could be the problem several tack welds were un-welded (rusted into non existence) So I ripped it off there. We'll see if that fixes the problem.

Edit: Heat shield wasn't the problem, new exhaust is going on today. I can't take the fumes any more.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008