lotsa miles question

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by senorschmidt, Apr 17, 2014.

1. senorschmidt

senorschmidt New Member

My burb has about 172k miles on it and I am planning on doing a longish road trip with my family this summer, about 2k miles. It rides great, starts instantly after turning over once. My big question is, does anyone know of any parts that tend to go out on these burbs when they get to this mileage? I know the transmissions aren't the strongest, but this burb has not seen much towing. I would hate to be stranded with an angry wife and 4 grouchy little kids.

I have a 1996 suburban k1500. 5.3, 4l60e. As far as I know, there has not been any major work done on the engine or transmission. Extras include a throttle body spacer, cold air intake (air raid), corvette shift solenoid, a dvd system with an extra amp, dual cat back flowmaster exhaust.

Thoughts?

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If I were taking my wife and kids on a long trip like that I would do multiple things first. They are all maintenance items, but I would make sure that they were all done before I left. here is my list:
    Tune up
    -plugs, wires, distributor and rotor
    -serpentine belt, while it is off check the pulleys, spin them by hand, if they feel crunchy or make noise change them
    -front and rear diff fluid changes
    -t-case fluid change
    -Check u-joints for play or noise.
    -change the power steering fluid
    -check the battery, over 5 years old it might need replaced.
    -coolant flush
    -Pressure test the cooling system, correct any leaks before leaving
    -Check coolant hoses for hardness, dry rot
    -oil change and filter
    -get an alignment, no point in dragging a tire sideways across the pavement for 2,000 miles
    -Clean the Throttle body with CRC throttle body cleaner.

Doing these things, especially the fluid changes can prevent a breakdown due to improper lubrication. Assuming that you will be driving many hours at a time you want to make sure that the fluids are capable of handling the heat generated. Generally, steering components don't just break. When you get it aligned the shop should bring any wear issues to your attention. Nothing you do will ensure a successful breakdown free trip, but taking parts like your belt and pulleys out of the equation sure helps you reach that goal. I would still carry a tool kit with me. It could come in handy if the alternator or something else goes out on your trip.

3. senorschmidt

senorschmidt New Member

Thanks for the ideas. I will get right on it. I just have funny/bad memories of my dad taking his 69 vette from Sacramento to Chicago and going through 2 water pumps before he arrived!

4. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

They is a thread related to the 5.7L engines and the common problems you can encounter. Take a look at it for issues of which you need to be aware. I agree with the recommendations received so far except for replacing the wires. Check the wires and if they are in good condition, I would not change them unless you have reason to believe there is a problem. I am still running the factory wires - they are still good. Try and find a set of the factory wires - I have only seen them sold individually. The cynic will say that is so they make more money. I believe the reason is you should rarely have to replace on.

I just hit 269,000 on my 98 Burb. I would drive it any where without a second thought. I also use genuine GM parts for the most repairs. They are available on-line and worth the difference in my opinion.

Good luck and hope your summer trip goes smoothly.

5. Family Force 6

Family Force 6 Rockstar 100 Posts

Pikey has a great list. Under tune up I'd add:
    O2 sensors (primary) if they haven't been changed in a while
    Clean MAF (mass air flow sensor) with electrical cleaning spray
    Wash and WAX before heading out (I like the Nufinish paste)
    I did that before getting on the road with our 99 Suburban last fall (210K miles) and we got 19 miles to the gallon loaded with 5 people and gear. And yes, waxing your vehicle does have a measurable impact on fuel economy.

6. senorschmidt

senorschmidt New Member

19 mpg! The best I ever got was 15.5. Thanks for the good tips.

7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My 99 has 285 mud tires on it and I have pulled 18mpg, these vortec 5.7 don't get the mpg that the previous TBI 350 (we pulled 22mpg in our 1992 on a trip to TX in August) got but you should he getting a little better then 15.5. You can test your wires with a meter, you should have 1 ohm of resistance per foot of spark plug wire (if I remember correctly) you can also check youtube vids for testing them. If you haven't ever changed rear end fluid I would get it done too

8. BornAgainBiker55

BornAgainBiker55 Rockstar 100 Posts

I agree with the rear diff maintenance if it's been awhile. On the flip side, my wife fondly remembers a road trip from Denver to Texas then along the coast (ish) all the way to Miami Florida, in a 'burb of that generation. she remembers no problems and 6 people + gear. She can do it, just keep swimming...

9. senorschmidt

senorschmidt New Member

I just noticed that you have a tuner on your suburban. How do you have it tuned? I was wondering if maybe having a custom tune may be why you get better MPG.

10. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

nope, the tuner didn't do a whole lot other then help with upper rpm/passing power, if I got anything it was maybe .5-1 mpg better but otherwise the difference wasn't noticed on a consistent basis. My tuner is very basic just hypertech and answer a few questions, I mainly got it to change the tire size and to read codes.