1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Loud Backlash

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Chevyguy69, Jun 10, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

I have a 2008 Crew, 4.8, 3.23 gear/ locking dif. AT. When I'm just rolling to a stop and sometimes come to a complete stop, I hear a sound in the rear end that sounds and feels just like having a 1 7/8" ball with a 2" tongue. It just has started and since I bought it in Oct. 2008 I don't have long before the warranty is out! I've just pulled a motorcycle trailer with it twice since I had it. Is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance.

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Check the slip joint in the drive shaft.
    This sounds like the common slip joint problem.
    Three methods of solving the problem Ivr heard of are:
    Greasing the slip joint and ensuring its packed with grease.
    Placing a small rubber ball inside the slip joint to take up the slack.
    And replacing the yoke with a nickle plated yoke that can be purchased from your favorite GM dealer.
    by all means use your warranty first to diagnose/repair the problem.

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree! it sounds like the slip yoke. I just packed mine full of grease and the noise stopped. I would make them fix it under warranty.

4. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Get on their case about changing to a plated yoke bc they will tell you just to change the tcase fluid. So change the fluid then get the truck dirty so it doesnt look like it was just changed but has been changed recently then bitch at the service manager for a new yoke.

5. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

Thanks guys, I'm just now seeing these post. Normally I received a notification that someone replied.

6. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

this problem of a bump when slowing down just before a stop or almost a stop seems to me to be the transmission is not dropping down to 1 st gear as it should .the transmission at times is in a higher gear at the very slow speed. could be the transmission fluid or the solenoids sticking.

how often have you replaced you drive train fluids ? what are the miles on this vehicle ?

7. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 New Member

Only 26k and I haven't changed the fluids yet. I'm going to change it but it does sound like the differential. Thx

8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

make sure the rear diff cover is removed and the box is cleaned out along with the magnet.

inspect for any gear damage.

these eaton locking diff require a 1000 mi break in. no long high speed drives. no towing/hauling during this first 1000 mi. then at 2000 mi drop diff cover clean inspect and it is good until 40K mi or so depending on your loading.