Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Loud clunking/popping noise from front end.

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by okysmokey911, Apr 3, 2013.

1. okysmokey911

okysmokey911 Rockstar 100 Posts

Recently my truck has been making a very loud noise coming from the front end. I was driving to work one day when I heard a noise that sounded like a think piece of metal was flapping underneath the truck somewhere. Thought it might be the dust cover so I took it off and the noise persisted. The flapping noise got worse and turned into a clunking/popping noise. Noise sounded like it was coming from the front passengers side so I changed the cv axle, but the noise persists. Noise does not seem to occur when the truck is in neutral and rolling, but as soon as you put it into gear it begins to make the popping noise. The noise happens when you go forwards or backwards and seems to get a little quieter when 4x4 is engaged. Wheel hub seemed to be fine. Cant figure this one out so any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. LBAR1

LBAR1 Member

My truck had a clunking noise coming from the front end mostly after hitting a bump or pot hole, it ended up being the front sway bar brackets they were broken. Hope this helps.
  3. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I have something like that. Took me a while to figure out what mine was but Im pretty sure mine is different than yours. Mine is the muffler (inside of it) something broke off in there but it is loud and echoes, that is why it took me so long. A quick check on that is if it does it in park put pressure with your foot to stop the vibration. Replacing this spring.
  4. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Are you just getting the oem muffler because it Sounds like a good time to do some aftermarket exhaust.
  5. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Well, I have been looking at them for a long time $$$ was the problem BUT My good friend (who is a mechanic) bought a flow master for his Ram. It was not loud enough for him so he took it off after a month and just skipped the muffler and went straight pip. It has been sitting outside for a year. so we are going to do some modifications and have it come out in front of my back wheel. I will clean it up first. Just waiting for warm weather :happy:
  6. okysmokey911

Truck is a 5spd manual, so no park for me and the issue is definitely not with the exhaust. I have a custom dual exhaust on my truck with no muffles. The noise is constant and does not require hitting a bump or pot hole. All I can think of is that the hubs have gone bad or that my driver side cv axle is bad.
  7. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Ahhhh!!!!

i had this happen yesterday. Front ds tire sounded terrible. Nursed the poor girl home and is outside on jack stands at the moment. Still awaiting discovery of the problem. Hopefully I can figure out what I need to do
  8. okysmokey911

Well I think I found my problem out today. I turns out it is probably not a front end issue. I took out the rear drive shaft and drove the truck in 4hi and that seemed to make the sound go away for a bit, but after driving a few more feet the popping came back. Once I got it back to the house I got under the truck and played with the rear differential and noticed that the differential yoke had way too much play in it ( about four or five inches ) and when you got to where the play stopped and you turned hard enough it would pop. The noise really sounded like it was coming from the front, but im sure the rear end is the culprit. You might want to check that before you go replacing cv axles and hubs like I did haha.
  9. ENrogersgm

ENrogersgm New Member

Did this fix the problem? I have 1997 Chevy W/T 5pd 4WD. Sounds like it has the very same issue. I had my local mechanic check the trans fluid, transfer case fluid, clutch fluid for particles and it was all clean. Motor/Transmission mounts are also good. Mine started doing this a month ago after driving about 30 minutes and now it is doing it after about 15 minutes of driving. I looked up CV Axle because I too thought it was coming from the front (I thought it was up by the engine). The mechanic couldn't find an issue because it would start acting up only after it was driven for a longer period of time.