Loud screeching noise when shifting into park

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by jfw1, Feb 15, 2014.

1. jfw1

jfw1 New Member

I have a 2000 GMC G2500 Savana 5.7 cargo van.. This issue started today when i came to a stop and put it into park. Its a very loud screeching sound that happens when i shift into park after driving. The sound lasts for a few seconds but will not happen again if i shift into any gear after that even if i shift into park.. It seems to only happen after i stop driving and shift into park. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be?

Thanks!
    Jim
  2. Dana W

Dana W Member

Yeah, either you're smuggling a cat, or maybe your torque converter clutch actuator is stuck on, leaving the lock up clutch engaged at low rpm, or the parking pawls or detent, or whatever they use in there these days are messed up.
  3. jfw1

jfw1 New Member

LOL.. When it first happened i tought that i had a cat screaming under the doghouse! The sound is very similar to a bad belt tensioner scream that only happens when shifting into park.. Do i have to replace the torque converter or could there be a simpler fix like a valve or electrical component? Sorry for my lack of knowledge and terms when it comes to transmission issues.
  4. jfw1

jfw1 New Member

I stopped by my local mechanic today and he said it sounds like my starter is engaging when i shift into park.. He is going to look at it tomorrow afternoon.. Has anyone ever heard of something like that?
  5. Kelmannen

Kelmannen New Member

Vant say i have... Thought there is no impossibilites when it comes To electrical issues.... :-S
  6. jfw1

jfw1 New Member

Update for anyone who gets this issue with their vehicle.. The problem stopped on the first warm day after a ton of snow and polar temps hit my area. The mechanic said it was an issue with ice and the safety neutral switch causing the starter to engage when i shifted into park..
  7. the phantom

the phantom New Member

^^^^^kinda strange but thanks for the update on what the problem was.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

wow, that is an odd one. I wonder what was sending the signal to tell the starter to crank. I am not sure of the wiring of the system. as described, it would imply that anytime that the key was in the on position and the truck in park it would crank.