1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Louisiana Summer Thunderstorms...

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Cheez, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Cheez

Cheez Member

Well, last night around 4:00am we got our first big summer thunderstorm. As usual for the summer ones, the lightning was quite spectacular! I didn't have my camera tripod so no pictures... There was some damage though. My girlfriends car didn't fare too well...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Window shattered, door frame bent, roof dented, and mirror lost. My truck survived fine, I wish it had been my truck though, instead of her car...
  2. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

and thats why you have insurance.

Alex
  3. Cheez

Cheez Member

4. donyms

donyms Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm glad you made it through safely. We have been having the bad storms her in South MS too and some are kind of scary. It's good to hear that you and yours are safe. Be careful. :glasses:
  5. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

When will these freakin storms end? Been a few scary ones lately and lightning has hit so close, I thought a big car wreck happened on the road again. Ran into some hail by Airline and I-10 about a week ago and seeked shelter for my truck with a group of about 30 Lance Armstrongs that were riding in the rain.
  6. SupplySgt

SupplySgt New Member

I grew up in Oklahoma, so I'm used to that type of stuff (and the tornadoes that typically come with them back home). We've had two or three hail storms in the last 6 months where I live in TN now but both the Camaro and the truck fared fine. Not too worried about the Camaro since it's old school (although she'll finally be getting a garage to stay in at the end of July). The truck is already beat up (and it's my storm chasing vehicle) but I doubt I'd be able to pick out any new hail dents. Sorry to hear about your g/f's car getting banged up though.
  7. Cheez

Cheez Member

I feel for you guys down South. Every storm has skirted right around us in North La.
  8. Cheez

Cheez Member

Oh, I'm not a fan of tornadoes at all! I hate that the car took the damage, but I'd rather it than a person any day.
  9. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

Yeah I forgot you're a Louyankee :lol:. It just started sprinkling. Just in time for me to drive to Baton Rouge to go get a shot.
  10. SupplySgt

SupplySgt New Member

Oh I agree there about rather the car taking the damage. As far as tornadoes, I grew up dealing with them and am used to it. I won't even go underground unless it gets within 2 miles to be honest. Usually though, I'm out trying to find it. I figure I've seen enough of them that I can use my knowledge of them to keep the general population informed, which is why I'm part of the local ARES (ham radio group that provides most of the volunteer storm spotters). The news stations monitor our transmissions and pass along our info when one of us (they refer to our reports as "trained spotter reports") calls in something. We also have someone that relays our information to the National Weather Service, and one of our members works for the county Emergency Management Agence (EMA), which basically gives us two way communications with our local law enforcement, fire, and EMS (unless they have an amatuer radio license, they cannot transmit on our frequencies).

Sorry for the tangent, but that's one of the reasons I have the Burb and am slowly making it into a better emergency response platform.