1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Louisiana Summer Thunderstorms...

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Cheez, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Cheez

Cheez Rockstar 100 Posts

Very nice! Glad to hear the burb is going to something as helpful as emergency response! A friend of mine just enlisted me to help install his 2m shortwave antennae on his balcony for ham and other radio transmissions. I didn't really get the details on what it was for but installing it was fun project.

2. Cheez

Cheez Rockstar 100 Posts

That's a new one! :rofl:

3. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Thank you for the kind words. I also have substantial medical training from the military and I just feel that I need to use the skills, training, and knowledge that I have gained to help those that live in my area. I already keep some medical equipment in the truck and am working on acquiring more. Ham radio is pretty cool in my eyes. You should ask your friend to tell you more about it. It's a great way to meet people who are very much down to earth and will go out of their way to help each other. Kinda like how this forum is.

EDIT:
    You should mention to your friend that a guy on your truck forum is a ham. If you want to mention my call sign, it's in my sig.

Another thing I found fascinating about becoming a ham is just that the test requires a little knowledge on radio theory. Most things medical, mechanical, and electrical fascinate me (the mechanical side is how I got into the car hobby). On a side note, when I had shoulder surgery, the doctor offered to show me the MRI before the surgery and (after surgery) the pics from the surgery itself. I was so fascinated by it all that he gave me copies of the pics from the surgery. I originally planned to get my ham license so that I could legally carry a scanner (I lived in KY at the time and it was one of the few exemptions to the law prohibiting having a scanner in your car). Once I started looking into it, I became curious and then fascinated about how it all worked (as far as radio theory goes). If you're interested on how things work, that side alone of the hobby is very rewarding. When I have some extra time, I need to upgrade my ham license. It requires more knowledge of radio theory but with my fascination of that type of stuff, studying for it will be no problem.

But definitely ask your friend questions. Most hams love to talk, and love even more to talk to interested non-hams about their hobby. I'm sure you're friend will be more than happy to tell you about it, and if you show interest in becoming a ham, will be even happier. Most hams that I know are that way (as am I). I certainly don't know it all, but if you have any questions of me feel free to ask. Again, sorry for the thread hijack, but it's one of my passions in life :D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  4. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I remember driving going across Hwy 10 or 20 in LA during heavy rain and squashing all the little frogs that covered the road, then afterward couldn't see because of the bugs , have to stop and scrape the windshield. Three hail dents on my 2000 Silverado while living in TN. I heard a big storm was on the way and was going to cover it up but fell asleep , heavy thunder and wind woke me up later to see hail and trees blowing over

5. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That hit us over in tuscaloosa knocked out a power line which took them all night to fix

6. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Hot and dry in Utah. Need some rain so don't be so greedy. Away from house for a week and my lawn looks like a cut grain field. Performing medical emergency techniques to bring back the lawns color, in this case Green is GOOD