Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Love the Chevy Equinox!! Thinking about buying... everybody love it?

Discussion in 'Chevy Equinox Forum (GMC Terrain)' started by GM Garage Girl, Feb 12, 2014.

1. GM Garage Girl

GM Garage Girl New Member GMTC Chick

I have gone back and forth with the idea of buying and Equinox for a few years now. I am looking to buy a newer vehicle and I want (like so many people) a crossover style vehicle that is reasonably affordable and gets decent fuel economy, hence I have been looking at the Equinox. I might be buying a 2007 or 2008 with around 80,000 or 90,000 miles, any words of wisdom or warnings about buying one with this amount of miles? Are all the Equinox owners out there as happy with their purchase as I imagine I will be?:glasses:

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My wife had an 08 torrent. Same thing as the equinox. We had nothing but problems with it. Wheel hubs went bad at 16,000 miles, shocks leaking at 17,000. Heated seats never worked correctly. Random service traction control lights that the dealer could never figure out. the last straw was at 60,000 miles the vehicle would not start. It would crank and then stop, you turn the key froward again it might start or it might just crank for a while. It would finally start the third or fourth time. If you google Pontiac torrent crank, no start there are tons of complaints about it, no one has figured out why and the dealer said that it was not covered under power train. They cleaned the intake, it started for a week and then the issue returned. I was at my son's school last week and another parent got in her equinox, she cranked it and it did not start, I recognized the sound from across the parking lot. I pulled up next to her and asked her if it happens often, she said yes, and that the dealer can't fix it. Maybe they fixed the issue with the new models, but I would not buy an 06-08. We traded it in with 64,000 miles on it. I posted a video on youtube of it. In the vid it cranks for a long time and then starts, but it did start the first try. checkout the comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar5stNGshX8

3. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

The first few year models
    1. ... The 3.4 L LNJ V6 engines

were made in shanghai GM china, if this helps to explain some failures early in, then for a few years were being built in spring hill tennessee,, the past two years in the canada plant. My neighbor has had two in the past four years, both new, and has had no problems, loves them. Buying any vehicle these days is a crap shoot.

4. GM Garage Girl

GM Garage Girl New Member GMTC Chick

Thanks for the advice! Yes we are looking to buy our next vehicle cash, so unfortunately the newer models would be out of the question. Good to know about these issues!

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

yes. my wife's torrent's motor was made in china, the trans in japan, it was assembled in Canada.

6. shaggy08xr

shaggy08xr New Member

My wife has had her 08 equinox for about 5 years now and we love that thing. Its very roomy and has great power and decent mpg. The only problems we've had is the usual wheel hub problem but nothing I cant fix for cheap but other than the wheel hubs the only other problem we've had is the egr valve went bad. When we bought her equinox it only had 17, xxx miles on it and its now knocking on 120, xxx miles. Im not sure about where it was made but it has been very reliable so far.

7. DaCookie

DaCookie New Member

I would be very careful with the Equinox. We have two at our shop right now with the transaxles disassembled in boxes in the hatch.

Seems they were taken in with the promise of assistance at two separate dealers. In both cases, the service manager promised that there would be assistance from GM with the bill. In both cases, the trans was removed and torn apart. At that point both customers were contacted by their service managers and given an outrageous price, and told they were on their own. Both customers had their cars towed away, but not until they had a couple of thousand dollars extorted from them.

ChevyFan likes this.