1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Low Coolant Light

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by sr71, Jan 6, 2013.

1. sr71

sr71 New Member

My 2001 Silverado 2500HD has a intermittent problem with the low coolant light coming on. There is plenty of antifreeze in the recovery tank, Could it be the sensor on the bottom of the tank?
  2. FABULOUZ1

FABULOUZ1 New Member

correct it is the coolant sensor i replaced mine on my 03 silverado it was driving me crazy light turned off once it was replaced.
  3. RAV52202

RAV52202 Member 100 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing. I have a 2002 GMC 2500. I tried getting just the sensor and I was told it was a dealer item. Called the dealer and they told me I had to replace the whole tank to get the sensor.
  4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member 1 Year 100 Posts

A long shot is remove the recovery tank, disconnect the sensor and flush it all out with clean water. There might be crud coating the sensor.
    Google "GM coolant sensors" and you'll get all kinds of hits for sensors only. There seems to be a lot of different designs.
  5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

you most likely have air in the coolant system. remove the pressure cap, start cold engine idle , until at normal operating temp 190 deg f , then rev engine to 2,ooorpm a few times. fill to the full hot mark with 100% dexcool antifreeze.

this is the purge proceedure.

now what could be going on here is you have a leak if it continues to drop/get air in the system.

water pump engine gaskets are common leak failure. very hard to see as the coolant evaporates when hot under pressure.