1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Low Fuel warning light

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Rychehawk, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Rychehawk

Rychehawk New Member

I just got an 06 Silverado 1500 and today I was driving and getting near E on my fuel gauge, well I was expecting the fuel light to come on any second, but it never did and it was right on E.

My question is where does yours normally come on at (how close to E)?

Thanks in advance!
  2. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

on my '02 and my '10 the low fuel light comes on a little under an eighth of a tank. if you were all the way on E it should have been on.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  3. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I will be sending you a private message shortly to get more information. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I know that my 06 Silverado would vary some times if i ran a little low (on a trip or specifically after the wife used it HAHA) but it would usually come on by then as well.
  5. Rychehawk

Rychehawk New Member

Well my light finally came on, I got the message in the message center as well as an audible chime and the yellow light on the gauge as well. It came on just as I was calling my service manager to set an appointment to get it looked at, I still think it comes on a little late it was on flat E for a while before it came on: but at least it works.
  6. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

one small thing to think of here....just like another thread replier stated, 1/8 of a tank and most vehicles' low level warning comes on-----If you know your vehicles MPG, and how much the tank holds, this will let you know how far you can drive if you are stuck away from a gas station----not saying you should run er' empty all the time, but if you happen to have the light / warning come on when you are out of town or on the highway, reset your trip odometer and remember what you calculated for MPG and what mileage you can get to be ablt to make it to a gas station !!
  7. GAPartsMN

GAPartsMN New Member

How many miles should you be able to drive once the light comes on?
  8. xPosTech

xPosTech New Member

That depends . . . the amount of fuel remaining, the way you drive, the engine's state of tune . . .

Test it. It just takes a little planning. The next time you need to fuel up, don't. When the low fuel alarm sounds, reset the trip meter. Take a gallon or two of gas with you and hit some low traffic areas. As soon as the engine burps*, pull over and kill the key. Put one or two gallons (depends on how close you are to your preferred fueling stop) in and then fill up.

Now you will know how far you can drive after the alarm sounds as well as what one or two gallons does to your fuel gauge. One may not show at all; two may show more or less than you expected.

*It's not good for the fuel pump to run it dry. Continually running low (the pump may be sucking air on turns, hills, etc) will shorten it's life.

Ted