Low oil.....damage done?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by JensenW, Jul 18, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. JensenW

JensenW New Member

I had not checked my oil for two months....shame on me. "check gages" light comes on twice briefly for about 4 seconds each, i check my oil and there is none on the dipstick. i had heard no knocking or strange noises coming from the engine. it was running fine. i put in 1 quart....let it sit for a few minutes, nothing. Another quart, started it up, let it sit, nothing. 3 quarts, same process and bam! oil level was to the operating range. i let it run for about 10 minutes, still no strange noises and it had consistant oil pressure. drove down the road, seemed to be fine. Is there anything i could have damaged that i would not notice right away? i really hope this was just a close call!
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

More info please, truck year engine. i did the same thing I eventually fried the exhaust valve on one of the cylinders but no damage to the cylinders or crank.
  3. VectraGT

VectraGT New Member

One of the first signs of thermal stress (increased thermal stress due to the lack of a cooling agent and friction reducer) is discoloration. You can look for this on your valves and even in your oil. Give your engine a good oil flush. Catch the first few drops that come out of your engine and run it between your fingers. Depending on the age of your engine and how long it has been since you changed your oil you should not feel any grainules. Once the oil has drained into a bucket, or what ever you use, look at the general color. Deep black with purple hue indicates thermal stress. Another great way to see what happening on the inside of your engine is to check the spark plugs. They are the easiest to get to and usually indicate whats going on in there. Hope this helps.
    -Jon
  4. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'd say no unless you were beating the snot out of the truck. They don't call 'em "idiot lights" for nothing. They are there to save us from doing major damage. You probably caught it early enough.

5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If your oil pressure drops TOO low your PCM will cut the voltage to the fuel pump. So I would say you are OK and probably didn't do any damage.
  6. VectraGT

VectraGT New Member

What year did they start implementing this fuel cut off?
  7. Jimmiee

I'm not sure what year. I've read on IATN several posts about a no start condition because of the oil pressure sender being bad. I'll see if I can dig up some more info.
  8. Mindi51982

Mindi51982 New Member 100 Posts

On a similar note...I took my truck into an oil change place last oil change because I didn't have time to do it myself (shame on me). I knew I was a quart down (rode on the dunes and did some off-roading, so I knew I'd use a quart between changing). The guy at the oil change place tried to sell me on some oil additive/cleaner...something like that. I haven't used that stuff before...but I did see him poor something into my oil reservoir before adding regular oil. Maybe was a cleaner or something. Is it recommended to use the additive when you change your oil???
  9. Jimmiee

Update..I just checked several different years of GM trucks and I can find no proof that GM is using / used the fuel pressure cut off. I know Ford and Mopar use this but I can't find where GM uses it. I did read a few posts on IATN where the the oil pressure caused a no start but maybe it was a passenger car rather than a truck. I'm going to dig around a little more and see if I find anything else.
  10. VectraGT

VectraGT New Member

That will be good to know... but hopefully something I will never have to find out my self. Its a good thing that GM still puts the oil pressure gauge in the cluster.