1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

low oil pressure when stopped

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by FuRiOuS1, Apr 18, 2009.

1. FuRiOuS1

FuRiOuS1 New Member

I have a 96 K1500. Just replaced the motor with a reman 350. For the first 50 miles or so I had no problems. Now, whenever I come to a stop, the oil pressure drops and check gauges light comes on. If I put it into neutral and rev it to 2k pressure comes back up, but stopped in drive it just won't keep the pressure up. What are the possible causes?
  2. GOTSAND4ME2

GOTSAND4ME2 Rockstar

I had the same problem with my 93 silverado. The problem was that I was burning oil bad and the oil level was low--barely enough in the pan for the pickup to suck. Had an oil change and it went back to normal. Seeing that you just put a fresh motor in, dont think that could be your problem.
  3. Rice

Rice New Member

Very strange to have thin on a fresh motor.
    I am having exact same issue, but my motor has 160K on it.
    Insidently, i've just dropped off my truck to get a new (to me) motor installed.
    After some research, i desided that it would be cheaper this way.

since you have a new motor, I would go back tot he people who rebuilt it and tell them about your problem. This isn't supposed to happen on a fresh motor.
    Good luck with it.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I bet you dont have enough oil in it, or maybe something wasnt correctly checked, like main bearings.
  5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Many rebuilt/reman motors aren't so great. There is a guy here who brags he can put a rebuilt one in your vehicle for the sales tax on a new car.
    He can, but some last just weeks.

If you have the $$ the best bet is a Goodwrench-most are new, and just a few hundred more than brand X rebuilds.The TBI 5.7's are under $2000 delivered. The carbed pre 1985 are about $1600 delivered. 96-99 fancier FI (SPI ??) 5.7 are $2250 delivered. The 5.3's are pricier>$3500+- still much much more affordable than any other brand.

Bring it back to the installers.

Luck,
    Charlie