Low temp thermostat

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by A1CMason, Apr 25, 2009.

1. A1CMason

A1CMason Rockstar

Does anyone have a low temp thermostat? Ive been thinking about getting one for my 05 silverado, how much do they actually help, and any good choices on one?

2. Blazerado

Blazerado Rockstar 100 Posts

I dont know about using one i a silverado yet, but i had a 180 in my s10 blazer and the only problem i had was it failed emissions so i had to take it out.

3. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

When I had the intake manifold done I had a 195 put in cause that is what was listed but the truck would get up to 210 before opening and that was too hot compared to my old one.
    I went looking and found Mr. Gasket makes a 180 stat that is a high flow model for about $10 it has worked good so far.
    The Yukon I was going to get another but when I was talking to the guy behind the counter about how the others said they didnt carry standard thermostats that were 180 he says sure we do and went got one down for me.
    $3 for 180 standard stat LOL that is more like it .

So here are the part numbers for the different temps if you want to try them

Stant part #
    13009 195 degree
    13008 180 degree
    13006 160 degree

4. Slow1500

Slow1500 Rockstar

I have always run a 180* in my vehicles with at least one 1/8in hole drilled in it(old-school trick to always have flow). A cooler engine generally makes more power. My truck throws an engine code when it's cold out but it does not harm performance. I wouldn't go colder than 180

5. A1CMason

A1CMason Rockstar

Any good brands for the 180 thermostat?

6. Blazerado

Blazerado Rockstar 100 Posts

Failsafe is an awesome brand.

7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Going to a colder T-Stat can hurt your MPG and in the wrong environment may not let the heater blow hot air to its fullest, just a few tips to consider.

8. Dr_Zero

The heater is a good point! My wife did not like the cooling system getting fixed since she was used to truck running warm LOL also the 180 stat didnt help matters any either.

9. Dr_Zero

10. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

we use stant at our shop and have had very few returns like 5 of 100 come back for and issue that may or may not be related to the tstat