Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

low voltage please help

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by circaglobe1, Feb 28, 2010.

1. circaglobe1

circaglobe1 New Member

please help my voltage is lowering from 14 to almost nine as i turn on accesories i have replaced the alternator ,battery,comp,ignition coil ign module cap,rotor plugs wires and temp sensor any suggestions would be greatly appreciated the vehicle is a 91 k1500 ext 5.0 305 4x4

p.s.the idle surges when the voltage is low any help would be much appreciated i dont want to buy a new truck

2. SoundZman

SoundZman Rockstar 100 Posts

You seemed to cover pretty much everything, except, replacing battery cables. I would replace the alt to battery cable, battery to chassis & chassis to block wires to be safe. It sounds like you might have a poor contact point that causing your problems. Make sure you clean the contact point at all location REALLY good, I also use that battery terminal grease, even on the chassis locations to help with corrosion/rust.

Also, theirs no problems with adding additional ground point like firewall to chassis to help with ground loops and things like that. Being that it's a '91 you could have some pretty worn and aged wiring.

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

that's funny, I didn't see how old your post was until after I posted myself...I saw it come up as "similar" post to something else I was posting on....