Lower Side Moldings

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Paul M, Aug 6, 2007.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Paul M

Paul M New Member

Since I am confident of getting the interior back together - re the plastic clips
    thread- I want to start making arrangements to replace the lower side moldings on my 89 K2500 Silverado. The chrome has yellowed and is peeling.
    I tried to replace the chrome but the strips available will not adhere properly when bent around a curve. I thought the manufacturer had this figured out but .. NO. Is there anyone that hhas done this job?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

3. Paul M

Paul M New Member

Thank you for the info on the purchase of the moldings. First, I need to remove the old ones. I think I know how to, but I am always looking for new techniques for doing various tasks. Any suggestions?
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well your in Arizona so it might not help but heres how I usually remove factory mouldings:
    Get the wifes hair dryer and heat the trim piece and panel around it on one end, then use a plastic spatula (a bondo spreader works best for me) to pry the moulding away from the body panel.
    Once you get an edge of the moulding sticking up that you can grab on to you can use that to pull away from the panel while heating the glue underneath with the hair dryer.
    The moulding should peel back pretty easy when the glue gets heated (especially on a hot Arizona day).
    Then use the plastic spatula and your fingers to remove any leftover glue from the panels. I usually wear surgical gloves while doing this because it gets a little messy. And sometimes a little WD40 sprayed on the glue and allowed to set for a half hour or so will help loosen up the glue.

I'm sure the replacement trim strips will have instructions for application but heres some things they may not recommend:
    Wax any places your not applying replacement trim strips that previously had trim strips on them. This paint has been covered for xx amount of years and never been waxed it will oxidize quickly.
    Run a tape strip down the side of the truck to serve as an alignment tool for applying the new trim strip, its easier to reapply a wavy tape line than it is to peel off the new trim strip and try to reapply it.
    Use cleaner on the area the new trim strip will be applied to, I hesitate to say paint thinner because most people rub it in a little to hard and take off the clear coat or even get into the color coats. Possibly your local auto parts store has a good grease and wax remover to accomplish this with.
    After you have the new trim strip applied put a coat of wax on the panels around and up to the new trim strip to ensure you cover any areas you may have inadvertantly removed wax from while prepping the panels before putting on the new trim strip.
    The stripping process will take about 3 hours.
    Heres an after picture of the last truck I removed the trim strips from, I didnt replace them because I was going for a blacked out look and the truck only parks next to other vehicles in my driveway.[​IMG]
  5. Paul M

Paul M New Member

Thank you Tim. I figured a heater of some sort would be involved. You provided a lot of other useful information especially on the technique - following along under the trim strip with the heat gun in particular. You are very precise and this is a very good thing.
    Thank you.
    I did sucessfully fix my broken clips on the interior trim with JB Weld. Chevy has the trim but only in tan, not the maroon. But JB Weld works real well.