1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

lowering a 97 suburban

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Drigo83, May 16, 2008.

1. Drigo83

Drigo83 New Member

i was wondering on how would i disconnect the 4wheel drive on a 97 k1500 suburban, i wanna lower the truck and eventually instale air bag suspension kit. please leave answers to help me out i would really appreciate it, thanks
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

To disconnect the 4wd you need to remove the front driveshaft. The halfshafts (or CV shafts) must stay in.
    Lowering the suspension can be achieved by adjusting the the torsion bars.
    Truthfully I'd never recommend lowering a 4wd, this isnt because I'm a fan of 4X4's, the suspension on a 4wd just doesnt do well when you try to lower them. You'd be better off finding a 2wd and installing an airbag system. In the end I think you'll be happier with the ride and spend less money to get where you wanna be.