Lowering the front end of my 1999 GMC 1500 4x4 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Motov8, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Motov8

Motov8 New Member

Want to drop the front end of my 1999 GMC K1500 3'' to create a noticeable rake to my truck
    Don't really want to lift the rear but might be prepared to lift the back 1-2" in addition to create the desired look
    This is purely for cosmetics and I don't want to negatively impact the ride or handling of my daily driver
    Also , I have LT 285/75 R16 s on the truck . I've trimmed the bumper and fender flares a bit to accomodate and have no rubbing issues at all. Can trim some more if req'd
    A local suspension shop took a quick look- not on the hoist- and said it can't be done
    I don't believe it
    I see BellTech makes a couple of kits for this exact truck for this exact purpose
    Anybody done this job? comments and assistance , please

2. crick

crick New Member

Are you looking at drop spindles? I just replaced my upper and lower ball joints and I'm not sure there is room on the steering knuckle for three inches of drop. Those half axles need quit a bit of room.

with 4wd you don't have any coil springs to modify. And I'm pretty sure the torsion bars can't be adjusted that much without changing the ride quality.

So.......maybe little wheels up front and raise the rear?

3. Raredirt

Raredirt New Member

If you drop the front end by cranking the torsion bars down, and I doubt that you'd be able to get 3", you'll change the alignment and suspension travel. So it would change the ride quality. The alignment can be corrected, but not the suspension travel.